Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trip to the vet but not with Louie for once

Bonnie and I went up to the vet today with her mule River and my mare Marie. Just for routine vaccinations. Both behaved very well. Gosh but just the routine care is getting expensive. $30 for a fecal float! $40 for Coggins. YIKES! And while the coggins is good here in Maine for 3 years, if you plan to go out of state, you have to get one every year. And I do plan to take Marie to some competitions out of state this year.

Today Louie was looking pretty comfortable. I even saw him standing with all his weight on his "bad" leg several times. When I backed him up, he is only swinging around one leg instead of both. And he looked good the couple times he got trotting around.

Part of his physical therapy routine includes "tail pulls". We are aiming for him to tolerate this for 10 seconds. Yesterday he would only tolerate it for about 4 to 5 seconds. Today was closer to 7. I am also doing some leg holds. He will stand very well when I hold up his "good" leg so he has to stand on just his "bad" leg. He will easily go up to 10 seconds with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment