Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 2 at Myhre Clinic

I had a wonderful time visiting Kathie and her mom. When I got to their house, Niether were home as Kathie's mom at work and Kathie had made previous obligations for the day. They had left the door open for me and had told me to go in and make myself at home. They have a lovely home. And a delightful assortment of pets. I had been up all night, then the long drive to the clinic and time there, so, settled in on a recliner, started to read my email and ended up falling asleep. Kathie's mom got home first and we had a nice visit until Kathie made it home. Kathie's mom made the most delicious supper and we had a wonderful evening. We stayed up too late of course. That was ok for me but they both had to work in the morning. I slept like a log and woke up fairly early. I realized I didn't have to get up to feed anything for once so went back to sleep and didn't get up until around 9:00am. I didn't have to be back to the clinic until 2:30 pm when I would meet with Jennifer Brooks, the physical therapist. I made myself some tea and breakfast, checked my email and then just relaxed with a book. Kathie got home from work early so we could visit a bit more before I left.




I got back to the clinic right on time. Jennifer was there already as she had given a presentation at the conference. She sat and talked to me for a while before seeing Louie. She wanted to get all the information she needed she looked at him. Once we were done with the paperwork and going over his history, we got Louie and brought him into one of the exam rooms. Louie immediatley dropped a big splattery load of diarreah on one side of the room. Poor Jennifer was in good clothes because she have given the presentation so we tiptoed around the splatter as best we could. Louie is noticably sore on the left rear side all the time. He keeps his weight off that leg whenever possible. She noted that he has a lot of muscle atrophy in the left flank. There was also heat in the hip area. He also had a sweaty spot just behind his hip bone. She went through the exercises she wanted me to do with Louie IF they found his only problem was the intermittent locking patella's. But, she felt that Dr. Myhre was right that the locking patella's were a secondary problem to something else going on. And because of that, she didn't have me do too many of the exercise with him. She wanted to wait until we had a diagnosis before making a solid physical therapy plan for Louie. I agreed that made sense to me also. Jennifer also pointed out that was I was seeing as weight loss with his flanks looking a bit hollow, was actually muscle atrophy. Which is indeed much worse on the right side. We put Louie back in his stall. I talked with Jennifer a bit more then stopped by Louie's stall before leaving. The tech's were shaving eveyone down in preperation for the "wet labs" for the ultrasonograpy the following day. Louie had been given a sedative and was getting his poodle cut.



I gave Louie a goodbye scratch and headed out. I was spending tonight with another friend, Margaret, that lived fairly close to the clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment