Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keeping Louie Quiet....yeah right...

I am supposed to keep Louie quiet for a week. This is easier said then done of course. I really don't want to lock him in a stall. I have two areas I can confine him to with access to the run-in. One is just a bit bigger then a round pen and the other is 20x40. I didn't want to change his routine too much as that might just make him fret. So, I decided to just let him and my mare, Marie, run together in the bigger paddock as they are used to being together.

Some friends went riding yesterday. Bonnie was going with River mule. I decided not to take Marie as I was afraid that would upset Louie and get him running. I have not left him alone before so don't know how upset he will get. But, I've never known one yet that was happy about being left behind alone. I did go riding but borrowed a friends horse to ride.

When Bonnie and I left with River, neither Marie or Louie really paid any attention. Good! I didn't think that would be a problem as neither are particularly attached to River. But, when we got back and Bonnie led River back to his pasture, Louie and Marie totally spazzed out, running and bucking. AGH! And what's worse is that the Bute therapy is working on Louie. He is feeling much more comfortable. I'm glad but that makes him more willing to run around. I may yet have to confine him to a smaller area.

No comments:

Post a Comment