Sunday, April 4, 2010

Beautiful weekend

Wow was the weather ever perfect this weekend!!! And no bugs yet (but soon I'm sure). Friday I had planned to ride with my friend Susie but ended up doing yard work in the morning then going out with my husband on his motorcycle in the afternoon. Saturday, I did yard work again in the morning then headed out to Palymra at 2:00 pm. to ride with Amy, Kyle, Traci and Allie Marie. What a great ride we had. Lots of hill work which is just what I needed for Marie. Marie was fabulous and led the way for a lot of the ride which is unusual for her. Kyle and I stayed for supper at Amy's. It was nice to stay and visit. I didn't get home until nearly 10 pm. Only bad thing is the electric brakes on my trailer aren't working for some reason. I didn't have any trouble getting home though. Today, I went to church in the morning. I love the Easter service! Then more yard work in the afternoon. Fred and I had to clean up some big hemlock trees that came down in our yard in the last storm.

Louie is definitely looking better. He is standing and bearing weight on his "bad" leg more and more. He is doing better with the physical therapy also. He will tolerate 10 seconds now with the tail pulls for 3 repitions. And today when I asked him to back up, he didn't swing his leg way out. And he is so good when we leave with Marie and River. He calls but doesn't make a fuss otherwise. He is just such a good boy!

The neighbors that are interested in him called me on Saturday. I didn't have my phone with me and did see the message until late. They called again Sunday but I was at chuch and missed the call again. I called them in the afternoon and left a message. We finally caught up with each other later in the day. Penny and her husband have talked with my (and their) vet. And they want to take Louie. Dr. Brown told them that it was very hopful that Louie would be fine. That he should be ok to ride in a few months and that he was looking much better already. I was a little surprised at this as Dr. Brown did Louie's x-rays but she never did a lameness exam on him and only saw him the one time. And Louie never had a second lameness exam for any of the vets at the clinic. So, I'm not sure why they would tell anyone that he was looking much better. Unless they were going by something I had said but I can't remember if I had told them he was doing better or not.

Anyway, I have decided not to let Louie go at this point for just the reason that came up with what the vet told Penny. (Yes, I know I am repeating myself a bit here from another blog entry). I am still not convinced that there is anything wrong with Louie's hips. I know there could be but I also know mule hips are different then a horse hip in some way, and maybe what the vet's are seeing on the x-rays are the normal difference from a horse in Louie's hip. If it does turn out that Louie has a soft tissue injury, and I give him away and he is ridden 2 months from now, he may reinjure himself because he didn't have enough time to heal. Soft tissue injuries take a long time and I want to give him that time just to make sure. Then, I will start riding him again lightly and see how he does. If he goes fine with no further problems, then, I will be ready to sell him. Not give him away. If Louie does come sound and ridable, he is just too good a mule to give away with his outstanding disposition and good mind under saddle. But, I can't sell him right now not knowing if he is going to be ridable. And only if I keep him can I be sure that everything that can be done for him is done. I've contacted a few vets from Texas A&M University that have done a lot of work with donkeys and mules and are themselves mule owner to see if they can say what the difference is in a mule and horse hip.

I have to say that I would be very happy if Penny and her husband were interested in buying Louie if he comes sound and ridable. Their three donkeys look great and very well cared for so I feel sure they would give Louie a good and loving home.

1 comment:

  1. Stay positive, Cindy! I'm sure you're right! Great post (and I am jealous of the yard work...)

    ReplyDelete