Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sleigh Rally


This post has nothing to do with Louie other them I took "his" horses away from him for the day and he was NOT happy about it. And I may eventually train him to drive so HE will get to go to the sleigh rally.

Anyway, I went to my first ever sleigh rally Sunday. I trained my horse, Marie, to drive years ago and though I had not hitched her in years and she had never pulled a sleigh, I decided to take her and give it a try. Marie is such a good dependable girl I was quite sure it would be no problem.

The rally was held at my friend Amy's home. The first problem was I don't have a sleigh. Amy said not to worry, she would find me one to use. Ok, problem one solved. Second problem, there was very little snow with the fields being nearly bare. We waited and listened to the weather report all week hoping for some snow, but no such luck. While the rest of the east coast, mid-west was getting buried under record breaking snow falls, not a flake was falling in Maine. Even TX and FL were getting snow!!!!! Amy said it looked like it would be changed to a carriage rally. But, Saturday, Amy's husband, Gary, was determined it would be a SLEIGH rally so he started trucking in snow from every snowbank around and he used a manure spreader to spread the snow over the field. Then he had a snowmobile grooming machine come and groom the field. By Sunday morning, the sleigh rally was on! So, my (reluctant) husband, granddaughter and good old Marie headed out early and were the first to arrive. One of the Beem's barns was heated and it was all set up with the food, tables and chairs and the registration table. A nice place to get out of the cold. It wasn't a bad day but it was cold with a bit of a biting wind out in the open field.




Amy showed me my choice of sleigh's to use. There was a metal road cart that had removable wheels and runners you could put on. Then there was the absolutely adorable Portland Cutter. I could not resist the cutter. Maire was feeling a bit lonely and wondering were everyone was and being quite vocal about it. That is between bites of hay because nothing puts her off her food. I harnessed her up and took her over to the sleigh. She was a bit of a pill to get hooked up at first as people were starting to arrive and she wanted to know if any of her buddies were around. But, we finally managed. Then the big moment, I knew she had not forgotten how to drive, but would she mind the different feel and sound of a sleigh. I climbed in, took a deep breath and asked her to walk out. No problem at all. It was like she'd pulled a sleigh all her life. GOOD GIRL!!! I called Susie R. and left her a message to tell her the hitch was a success!




I took a spin around the field alone then took Madison, my granddaughter, for a spin around the field. I then unhooked Marie and tied her back at the trailer as it was a while before my first class. I went into the barn to warm up. Someone had brought some Yellow Lab pups that were for sale and that was the highlight of Madison's day. She could not take her eyes off those puppies for the rest of the day. Before I knew it, it was time to hitch back up again and get ready for my first class. This time Marie was much more cooperative and in no time I was ready. Marie was a bit fidgety so I had to keep her slowly walking around at first but then she settled down. A lot of people had shown up and there were also quite a lot of spectators. There was some beautiful draft teams giving sleigh rides and a few that were there just for the show. No mules though.




My first class was pleasure driving. It was a big class. Marie was wonderful and did everything asked. We didn't place though so apparently I didn't ask all the right things. Next was the reinsmanship class. That was done one at a time in the ring. You had to go in, stop at a cone for 4 seconds, then do a figure 8 pattern and out. I had a total brain cramp and managed to do a figure z or maybe a figure x or...... but it was NOT a figure 8! DUH! Oh well, once again Marie was great and did just as I asked. At this point, Susie called me back and said she and David were coming up to watch. Next I did the obstacle course. I did manage to get that right! Then on to the marathon course which I once again managed to do right and Marie was great and really getting into it.

I was asked by several people if I'd entered the 'half & half' class. That was the obstacle course done with two drivers in a sleigh. The first driver would go once around the course and as you came around by the start/finish line, you would hand the reins over to the other driver and then would drive once around the course. Well, I didn't have anyone to go with me. Amy said she would but just about then, Susie showed up. I grabbed her out of the audience and she was thrilled to help me out. Susie did great as did Marie of course. The obstacles were set up near the end of the field by the woods where there actually was some snow and there were a few spots that were getting a bit scary as it was a bit deep and getting rutted up with all the sleighs and a few times we were afraid we might tip, but didn't.



After the class, I took Susie for a spin around the whole field, then Susie helped me unhitch and remove Marie's harness. I gave Marie lots of hay which she attacked with her usual gusto. We all went in for lunch. Susie and David left before they gave out awards. That was too bad as Susie and I got 6th place in the 'half & half' class!!! And I got 2nd place in the marathon.

It was a wonderful day and I am so glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment