Thursday, February 4, 2010

Peanut Butter






This post has nothing to do with the little brown mule. But one I'd like to share that brings back many fond memories. Just a little story about a pony that came into my life many years ago. (long before I was smart enough to have mules...)

One day back in July of 85 I saw an ad in the paper for a horse trailer. I was in the market for one so called and made an appointment to go look. I was surprised as the address was in the city and a strange place to find a horse trailer. My brother and (now ex) husband went to see the trailer. Well, it wasn't of any interest but just before leaving, I spied a tiny little pony tied to a dog house in the back yard of this home. I, of coure, had to invistigate further and went out to take a look. He was a little sorrel colt of 9 months old. You could tell his halter had not been removed in a while as his hair was worn and it was too tight. He was also quite thin. I asked some questions and the owner admitted they had no horse experience and weren't sure what to do with him. They told me his name was Peanut Butter (for his color). They realized he was thin and didn't know why. They showed me how much they were feeding him and it was a LOT! But, they didn't know to worm him. Anyway, in the end I did not get a horse trailer but I did get one tiny thin sweet pony and didn't really know what to do with him.......

Once wormed, he put weight on easily. His breeding was unknown. He grew to be 11 hands tall and had some resemblance to a Shetland. But, was much more refined in build. Possibly a Shetland, Hackney cross. I taught him to ride and drive and he then went on to teach my first step-children to ride and drive as well as a number of nieces and nephews and then my second set of step-children. He brought joy to many young lives. My dad also used him over the years sometimes hooked to the bob sled to collect sap for maple syrup or to twitch logs out of the woods when cutting firewood. (appropriately sized logs of course LOL) for this winter work we would have borium shoes put on him to be safe on ice. My farrier his were the tiniest borium shoes he'd ever done.

Eventually, all the kids were grown and Peanut Butter was turning into a pasture pet. And, about this time he was diagnosed with Cushings. Peanut Butter was about .....15 year. old at this time. One day a friend of mine who had 2 young children called and asked if I would lease him to her. We carefully discussed this and she fully understood the cost and trouble of taking on an equine with cushing so we decided to give it a try. It was the best thing I could have done for Peanut Butter. He became the busiest most loved pony around. He taught their two children to ride and was in many shows both gaming and judged trail rides. He became the hit of the lesson barn the frequently went to. His cushings was well managed with the traditional medication of pergolide. He did founder once (a risk of using pergolide) but was treated and cared for and had a full recovery to complete soundness. But,as children do, they grew and moved on to bigger horses. So, once again, Peanut Butter was on the brink of an inactive, though still loved, life.

Then, a new family was found with 2 small young children in need of a pony to love and learn to ride on. Once again, much discussion and thought and it was again decided to let him go to the new home after nearly 10 years with the family I leased him to. (who's children, though now to big to ride him were VERY upset at letting him go)

I just got an email and some pictures from the new family he has been with for over a year and it's working out wonderful!!! I've included the emails below and pictures. Once picture is of me (oh, to be that thin again.....sigh) with Peanut Butter not long after I got him in 1985. One is of him sharing his meal with a pet rabbit when I still had him. The others are of his new kids. Peanut Butter is now 26 years old.


Email:

Maura,

I hope you, Dan, the kids, dogs and horses are doing well. Peanut Butter continues to be just fabulous. We've had him out quite a bit with the sleigh this winter. He's so cute and he just loves to pull the sleigh.

Every morning when I turn him out with the others, he kicks and bucks and runs around. He's more spry than my gelding! And if I take my mare and my gelding out for a ride without Mr. Butter? He just runs and whinnies -- How could we dare go without him!

Donnie and I had a wonderful time riding together this summer and fall. Attached are some photos that I had taken this fall. I noticed Peanut Butter is turning a bit gray but as I said he remains like a colt!

Take care and hope you are doing well.

Kristi



Cindy,

Thank you for sending these photos of our dear Peanut Butter. The kids are just thrilled to see him and they especially love the one in which he's sharing with the bunny. Donnie, my 6 year old, son wanted me to say that Peanut Butter will be at our farm, being adored by his many fans, for as long as he lives.
I have a friend who restored a tiny sleigh for PB and we're going to be demonstrating it at Skyline Farm's Sleigh Days on Saturday. I always take him so kids will have a pony to pet and adore.
My daughter, Nora, 3.5, wanted to say Thank you for teaching Peanut Butter to be such a good pony for little girls and boys.


We were so pleased that Maura and her children shared PB with us. He's a gift.
Take care
Kristi, Donnie and Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment