Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The $95 Trail Ride

Today Susie, Barbara and I planned to ride in New Gloucester. Barbara would be riding Marie. I met up with Susie at the highway and followed her. She got a bit lost and we took the slightly scenic ride there on the the lovely frost heaved roads but that's ok, we got there fine and still in good time. We saddled up and headed out along Rt 231 heading up to the trails. It's a busy road but Louie was marching right along behind Susie's horse with no concern for the traffic. Right after we'd crossed the second rail road tracks, Susie picked up a trot. Louie started to trot but was hitching up bad in his hind end and just couldn't seem to trot. I stopped, then tried again with the same results. ????? Oh, no!!! Louie couldn't be lame!!!! Barbara was behind me and said it was his right rear. I dismounted and had Susie hold Louie while I check to make sure there were no rocks or anything stuck in his hoof. Though it felt more like the problem was higher up. His foot was clean. There were no signs of injury, no heat or swelling anywhere I could see. My heart just sank. I told the girls to go on with their ride and that I would take Louie back. Susie could drop Marie off on the way home. They were both reluctant to leave me, wonderful friends that they are, but there was nothing they could do so why spoil their ride. They were also worried Louie would be a problem when separated from the horses. As I'd never done this before, I didn't know but Susie had her cell phone with her so I told her if he got too bad, I'd call her and they could come back. So, we parted ways.

At first Louie was not happy. He stopped a few time, tossing his head and bellowing. But, after a minute or so of this, he gave it up and came along willingly and quietly if not happily. We walked the 3/4 or so mile back to the trailer. He was showing no trouble at the walk. On the way, I called Dr. Jefferson's office as I was only a few miles from his office. Unfortunately, he was out for the day. I then called Annabessacook Clinic. They were about 45 min. away but there was a vet in the office that could take a look at Louie right away. Louie was quiet while I untacked him and loaded right up like a good boy into the trailer.

When I got to the clinic, the vet, Dr. Faye, had me bring Louie into the indoor arena and the vet tech trotted Louie out. Of course he trotted 100% sound!!! AGH! A few more times though and Dr. Faye spotted the problem. Louie has a locking patella. It did happen again while the vet was watching. The patella is equivalent to our knee cap and it was popping in and out of place. Something about there being a groove where the tendons run and if the groove is shallow, it will pop out and lock. Dr Faye said it is usually hereditary and some breeds are more predisposed then others, Standardbred's being one of those breeds. And Louie is 1/2 Standardbred. He told me he most commonly sees it show up in 2 to 4 years old when they are first starting to be ridden and really worked. My heart sank, what was I to do about this?

Dr. Faye told me the cure was to work him. Lots of work, lots of hills and climbing as that will strengthen the muscles up and keep them in place. He said when it lockes, I need to back him up and that will unlock it. He said worst case scenario is occasionally a horse needs surgery but he does not like to do surgery as he said they always quickly end up with arthritis. He assured me that work and strengthening the muscles will take care of it in most cases and should cause no problems. He said sometimes they outgrow it, or once muscled up, will show no more signs of it ever. With some, it will come back anytime they are laid up and not ridden for a while so it is best to keep riding them year round.

A little disheartening but I guess not such a bad prognosis for a mule intended for distance riding as the conditioning and work is just what Louie needs. So, I'll keep riding with the same goals in mind and just see how things go.

I decided that since I was already at the clinic, I might as well have Louie get his spring vaccinations. I didn't know how Louie would be about getting needles but he was just fine.

He loaded back into the trailer nicely so other then the disappointment of finding out Louie has this problem, it was a good mule day with Louie handling everything like a champ. And that concludes the story of my $95 trail ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment