Saturday, April 9, 2011

Completion of the MulesOnly Trainers Challenge and a Good Ride

Louie fetching rope bone


Today was the my last day of the MulesOnly Trainers Challenge. Officially the last day was the 10th but I will be busy tomorrow so took my video today. Barbara was coming over to ride so I had help taking video. While waiting for Barbara to arrive, I played fetch with both Marie and Louie together for just a short time to see what their moods were. Louie was eager to play to day and so was Marie. I didn't want to do go much though before Barbara showed up as I didn't want them to get bored. I did take one video myself just in case they decided not to play when Barbara arrived. You just never know when working with animals. So, I put Marie's easy boots on her to get ready for our ride. When Barbara arrived and came into the paddock, Louie immediately went to her and started loving all over her. Now Louie has not seen Barbara many times and he is naturally friendly but he was acting like he'd just found a long lost friend. Barbara seems to have a special way with the mule. All my mules have loved her. Even my first mule Emma Jane was was VERY picky about who she liked and didn't like and had strong opinions about it. I gave Barbara my camera and she got in position to take the video. She started filming and I tossed the toy for Louie. He went right after it, picked it up and brought it right to........ BARBARA!!!!! We tried a few more times but Louie would not bring the toy to me, only to Barbara! While I was just a tad insulted it was the funniest thing. So, we decided to just go with it and I had Barbara play fetch with Louie while I took the video. Louie was very happy with this situation.

Barbara tossing toy for Louie


Marie and Louie with toy


After we were done videoing, we got Marie and Louie tacked up to ride. I bought a new bit for Louie. It's a Myler flat shank with an MB36 mouthpiece. I'm just not quite satisfied with the bit I've been using on Louie. I'm was not excited about spending so much money on a bit but I truly do like the look of this bit. And I have to say that Louie really did go much better. He is far softer and more responsive with this bit. Anyway, because of the snow and ice we still have, we can't ride in the woods. So, we just headed down the road. We headed out to the Alpaca farm. I really didn't want to do an "up and back" ride. But the only way to do a loop was to ride a lot of busy road and we'd have to go over two highway overpasses. I don't think I've ridden Louie over the overpasses (though I wont swear to that....)and I have not ridden Louie on a truly busy road. But, he has not yet show any problems with the traffic we have come across so I decided to go ahead and ride the loop and see how it went. Louie was wonderful. He was not totally relaxed but he didn't do a single wrong thing. He had not issues with the traffic, bicycles, motorcycles and pedestrians. He was however keeping a very close eye on the ditches and woods for scary mule eating rocks and trees. He was fine with the overpasses but he did NOT like the metal expansion strips on each side of them. Especially the first one we went over as it's wide and shaped like TEETH! Because there was traffic when we got there, I didn't want to get into a "fight" over crossing it and hold everyone up so I just hopped off him and led him over. He came with me willingly when led though I assure you his feet did not touch them. I had Barbara lead for most of our time out on the busy road but in the end let Louie go in front. It makes Louie crazy to follow Marie because she is so slow. Anyway, I was super pleased with how Louie did today!

Louie fetching for me. I'm taking the video before Barbara arrived


Louie giving the toy to Barbara


Louie fetching for Barbara

1 comment:

  1. I think you should submit the middle one... TOO funny! Louie is such a ham. Love it Cindy!

    ReplyDelete