Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It's Deer Fly Season

Today I totally overslept. Well, I didn't have anything I had to get up early for so really I just got some much needed sleep. I hadn't been up long when Brooke called to see if we were riding today. No reason not to though we'd have a short time window. I quickly fed Luke and Marie and cleaned Marie's stall. And no, I didn't clean Luke's stall...... I don't have to as he's courteous enough to step outside to do his business. Brooke arrived just as I was done cleaning. We got Luke and Marie and tied them on the trailer. Luke was filthy! Marie not so much. Today it was only in the high 70's but still fairly humid. Not like it's been the past few weeks but still............



First I couldn't find Marie's boots, then I couldn't find a pull strap for the boots, then I had to dig around for the right fly mask.......it's a wonder we ever got going! But, we did thanks to Brooke saddling up Luke for me. We rode the alpaca farm loop. We moved along as quickly as we could though the trail is rocky enough to limit the overall speed you can go. The deer fly were horrible! Another reason to move along as quickly as possible. Luke and Marie did their best to eat every piece of greenery they could. It sometimes amazes me there is any thing green left for them to grab along this trail that I ride quite often. It seems it should be stripped clean of vegetation from Luke and Marie's efforts. Neither Luke or Marie were over ambitious today but they were good and we had a very nice ride. Once back we hosed them both down and checked their pulses and they were both in good shape. And we got home just in time because I had no sooner gone in the house when it started pouring out!! The sun was still shining but it poured hard for a short time.

Tomorrow will be a tack cleaning and packing day and I think we are ready for the CTR and CDR this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment