Sunday, August 4, 2013

Changed Plans

My friend Tracy and I finally had our schedules work out so that we could go riding together! We discussed where to ride and decided to go to Androscoggin Riverlands Stage Park in Turner. Tracy had never been there before. I also invited Cierra to go and we were delighted that she was able to join us. I wanted to invite Brooke to come also but the ride would be 15 miles and I wasn't sure Marie was up to it. We planned to meet at Upper Pond Stable so I could pickup up Cierra and her horse Tinkerbell, then Tracy could follow me to the park. 




The morning dawned dreary and rainy. The weather forecast was for clearing skies so we didn’t change our plans. I hooked up the trailer and filled hay bags in the pouring rain. It was still raining when I arrived at Upper Pond Stable but we decided to ride and hope it would clear soon. We were putting on Tinkerbell’s boots when Tracy realized she hadn’t brought boots for her mule, Ellie Mae. The trails at the park are kind of rocky and the first mile or so is gravel road that is quite stony. Tracy didn’t have time to go home and get the boots so we decided to change plans and decided to ride in West Bowdoin. I then decided to see if Brooke could go as we would not be doing quite such a long ride. Brooke was able to go but had to be back around. So, we changed plans again and decided to just ride from my house so we could get in a nice ride but be back in time. The trails from my house are quite rocky too but if Ellie Mae had any trouble, from home I could change or shorten the trail as needed. While Luke was waiting in the trailer for us to get ready, he was braying to everyone to make sure they knew he was there and that he was being quite badly abused by being abandoned and left alone on the trailer.  When Tracy arrived, Ellie Mae joined in the chorus.



We loaded Tink into my trailer and she went right in like a good girl.  I unloaded Luke so we could load Tink in first, then loaded Luke back in. He is such a good sport about this kind of thing. When we got back to my house, I’m sure Luke was wondering why he had to take a trailer ride so we could go riding from my house. Though by now I think he just accepts I do strange things. We got saddled up, put fly masks on all the equines. I loaned one of my riding masks to Cierra for Tinkerbell. It was a mule mask so the ears flopped over a bit but it worked. And I have to say the flies were HORRIBLE today! I ended up wishing I had put the neck piece on Luke that goes with the face mask. I did have my fly swisher thankfully and nearly wore out my arm swishing at the flies on BOTH of us!






Despite the flies, we still managed to have a fun ride. We did the Tarr’s Mill loop. I raced Cierra up the big hill on Ledge Hill Rd. Luke will never be famous for his speed that is for sure. Cierra and Tink quickly took the lead and Luke wasn’t even slightly interested in even trying to pass them. Marie was game to give it a try but one of her back hoof boots fell off and Brooke had to pull her up. Tracy retrieved the boot for Brooke and put it back on Marie. We had a couple ATV’s pass us on the trail. Tink was good about them. They startled Ellie Mae but nothing serious. When we came to the stream crossing at Tarr’s Mill, Ellie Mae was pretty determined to not cross. Tracy ended up leading her across. All the equines did well on the pipeline that has a few steep descents and climbs. We had to cross the stream a second time and Ellie Mae was fine with the second crossing.  We trotted along were the footing allowed and played around trotting through all the big puddles. The mules and horses do that funny lofty trot when going through the water. We got back to my house right around . Tracy offered to take Cierra, Brooke and Tinkerbell back to Upper Pond since she was going that way to go home. We had a fun ride but we’ll all be glad when there aren’t so many deer fly out!


No comments:

Post a Comment