Saturday, July 6, 2013

Riding with Brooke, the Tarr's Mill Trail

We have been having such a hot and humid stretch of weather right now. I've wimped out on riding for the past few days due to the humidity but really wanted to get out today. Brooke agreed to go riding with me on Marie. Brooke came at 11:00. Today was another hot and humid day but the humidity was slightly lower than the past few day. Not much but a little and there was a pretty good breeze today and that helped quite a bit. I was afraid the deer fly would be bad today so decided to dig out Luke and Marie's riding fly masks. While I was in search of them, Brooke got both Luke and Marie all saddled up. That was a treat for me and much appreciated. I put Marie's new Easyboot Gloves on her hind feet. I am sure hoping they work as they are quite simple to put on and take off. I'm still using her old original style Easyboots on her front feet as I know they work and they still have more miles left in them.

We did the standard Tarr's Mill loop. We rode it pretty slow as the humidity had Marie sweating quickly. Luke wasn't having any trouble but he's in much better shape then Marie right now. It was sure hot out on the open stretch of the gas pipeline. Luke stopped once and went on alert. I looked in the direction his ears were pointing and sure enough there was a turkey down in the weeds in a gully. If ran out of the weeds, across the trail and out into the woods. Both Luke and Marie just quietly watched it go. GOOD TRAIL PONIES!

When we came to the stream I like to ride up, Luke remembered the trouble we had getting out of the stream a few days ago and was reluctant to go walk up the stream. I promised him I would NOT ask him to climb out where we had the trouble a few days ago. I guess he believed me because he did go up the stream though reluctantly. This time we exited the stream where we normally do which is a nice safe place. Well, the other spot had looked safe to me too but the normal spot I know for sure is as we have climbed out often in this spot. We had an even better breeze as we rode back home and even Marie dried off for the most part. But, we hosed them down when we got back and I think they both enjoyed it. Marie's Easyboot gloves worked very well with no signs of any rubbing from the gaiters. I was very pleased with them.




No comments:

Post a Comment