Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Upper Pond to Still River Farm

I arranged to ride with Brooke and Mary-Jo today. We were planning to ride around 9:00 as Brooked needed to be back by 1:00 to 1:30 pm. And I had to work that afternoon. Cierra had a riding lesson for the morning so wasn't planning to join us. I hauled Marie and Luke over to Upper Pond and by the time we got organized and ready to ride, Cierra was done with her dressage lesson and we asked if she would like to join us. She definitely wanted to go with us and quickly put the hoof boots on Tinkerbell that I am letting her borrow. We were just going to ride around the trails at Upper Pond but I told them we should ride the trail that goes into the woods just 3 houses down from the stable. It's a really nice trail. They were all happy to try this trail as it would be something new to them. So, we set off and took that trail which everyone enjoyed. When we got to the end of the trail where it comes out on Rt. 197, I then asked them if they wanted to continue on to my house. Trusting soles that they are, they agreed to this as I didn't think it would take us too long to ride to my house. I've done it a number of times. Once at my house, We would just drive my car back to Upper Pond to get the trailers. So, we forged on.

We had to ride just a short distance down Rt. 197 crossing a creek and then cross the road and go right back into the woods. There is a metal guardrail as you cross the creek. We were being very careful of Cierra and Tinkerbell as Tink is new to trail riding and Cierra is under 18 and I take being responsible for her very seriously. Tink was a superstar and didn't so much as even give the guardrail a glance. More than I can say for Luke........who led the way and was good but kept an ear hard on it and maintained an arch in his body making sure the guardrail would have no chance to grab his hindquarters. Mary-Jo led her horse Arthur across and after one good look and sniff of the long shiny metal monster, was fine with it. Brooke brought up the rear with Marie. We got across the road with no issues. Once back in the woods on the trail, we came to a bridge that I'd never seen before. We'd just passed in intersection and I though maybe I'd taken the wrong turn. We rode back to the intersection and I was sure that we had not take a wrong turn and that the bridge must be new. I've not ridden this trail yet this year. I told them to wait at the intersection for a minute while I rode back to the bridge to check it out and see if we could cross. Luke was a good boy and left the group. The bridge was not safe for the horses to cross. The little stream was very narrow but a little muddy on each side. I found a spot that looked ok and asked Luke to cross. He was good and didn't really hesitate and followed me right over. It was a little soft but manageable. I called to the others to come on down to follow me across. They told me that Marie had a mini melt down at being separated from Luke. Naughty Marie! Brooke is an experienced rider and was able to handle it. Brooke rode Marie across the stream and she sank in the mud a bit deeper than Luke had. So, Mary-Jo led Arthur across in a different spot that was better. We told Cierra to get off and lead Tinkerbell across. In case she did a big leap across it, we didn't want Cierra to be on her. Cierra was definitely nervous about this crossing but she did it. Tinkerbell did fantastic and came right across. Cierra got pushed into a bush but all was well. We mounted back up and continued on our way. Some of this trail has a few small muddy spots on little hilly spots. Nothing that is any problem for the horses but not the kind of thing that the ladies with me are used to so I think it made Cierra and Mary-Jo a little nervous but both of their horse did just fine. Brooke riding Marie had the advantage of knowing that Marie has done this trail many times before. Somewhere though here, Cierra happened to mention she was riding in her very expensive dressage saddle and she didn't think her Mother was going to be very happy about this. Cierra had not expected we we were going on such an adventure! ACK! At one point Cierra gave a big ouch because she got caught by a pricker bush, we were all, "is your saddle ok". To heck with her, she would heal, we wanted to make sure the saddle wasn't scratched! Ok, of course Cierra is most important but.........

I didn't do the trail entirely as I usually do. The next section of trail I usually ride had been logged and is rough and muddy right now. Susie, Linda and I had ridden it recently and got though ok but I didn't want to drag this group though that. So, I went left once on the South Adams Rd. trail and rode out to Rt. 197. That is a nice trail and from there it's just a very short way up Rt. 197 to another trail that goes to my house. I thought we'd avoid all the logging operation this way but it was not so. But, we didn't have to ride though much of it and the footing was all good so it wasn't a problem. Once off the logging area, the trail was all fine back to my house. Once we got close to my house, Arthur got a little balky. We don't know why but Mary-Jo decided to get off and lead him as she wanted to stretch her legs anyway. Then it started to sprinkle! ACK! Cierra's saddle. Mary-Jo wasn't able to hurry down the trail so I asked Brooke to go ahead with Cierra to the barn to get her saddle under cover and I stayed back with Mary-Jo. We got back to my house safe and sound but far later than I though we would. I've never walked the entire trail so I very much underestimated how long it would take. I felt bad that I had made Brooke late. Cierra had called her mother when we were on trail to let her know we had not dissappeared off the face of the earth. We took Tinkerbell right into the barn to untack her. I put Marie in Lukes stall much to her delight as he has the big round bale of hay in his stall. I put Luke out in the pasture much to his disgust. He was mad as he was not right with all his friends and ran and bucked to show his displeasure. We put Tink in Marie stall once she was untacked and we verified that Cierra's saddle was unharmed from our adventure. Phew! Arthur was given the front paddock. We took care of the horses than Brooke, Mary-Jo and I drove over to Upper Pond. I quickly jumped in my truck and hauled my trailer back home. Brooke had some chores she quickly took care of then she drove my car back to my house and Mary-Jo came with her trailer. Luke and the horses were all quiet when we got back to my house. Tinkerbell and Arthur were loaded up and Mary-Jo hauled them back to Upper Pond Stable.

I thought it was a good ride and all the horses had done very well. Luke was the good solid leader as usual. I know it was a bit more that the others were expecting. I was just hoping they would ride with me again. (They did......the very next day.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment