Monday, January 24, 2011

Working at Liberty

I went over and helped Wendy, the barn owner, this morning. It was just sooooo cold. -16 degrees when I got home from work at 4:00 AM. About -10 degrees when I got to the barn at 8:30 AM. I'm glad I went over as Wendy had no other help today.

The horses and mules were going to stay in the barn due to the cold temps. A wind was picking up outside and it was really uncomfortable out with wind chills factored in. So, horses were given time in the indoor arena while we cleaned stalls. The first two I turned out were Louie and Dolly. Louie was all excited and got Dolly going and they ran and bucked and ran some more. Then did some good old mule rolling.

Once I was done cleaning stalls, I got Louie again and took him back out into the arena. I turned him loose again wondering how his mulie brain had processed our last session. He headed down to the end of the arena at a trot and I asked him to whoa and he did. Not an immediate whoa but he only took a few steps before stopping. I was pleased. I sent him back off and he did another nice whoa. When I sent him back off the 3rd time, he started circling me in just one half of the arena just like I had a lunge line on him. Now I was really impressed. And he stayed right with me the rest of the time. He did walk and trot and whoa in both directions very nicely. Smart boy! And I was so pleased that he worked with me so willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment