Monday, January 3, 2011

Silly Boy Mule

I went over to the barn to ride this afternoon. It was quiet and no one was riding today. Sooooo, I thought, good, I won't have to lounge Louie first as he should be quiet. Well, the first problem with that theory was that it was feeding time. Louie was down in his paddock pawing anxiously demanding to be feed immediately. So, when I went and got him and brought him up to the barn, he was shocked that I should even consider working him at feeding time. But, he was quiet on the cross ties for grooming and saddling. He still honks when I get out of his sight though. When I got him out in the arena, his eyes lit right up and he started getting a bit light on his feet. I decided that lounging first might be the wise thing afte all. Glad I did! Today I was pleased that he decided not to try dragging me around. He substituted the dragging with bucking and leaping. :-/ I reminded him of my opinion of this kind of behavior and in a few minutes he settled down though he was still bright eyed and snorty. The barn owner came into the arena with her ATV and a cart to get some hay. That didn't really bother Louie though he preferred to face it. I finally felt he was settled down enough to ride. And he was good. We went around the arena a bit sideways a few laps but then he settled right down to work. He is doing well. He is very light on the bit and he is starting to neck rein now quite well.

Louie is the first boy I've had in a long time. I love working with Louie but I do like the seriousness and work ethic I've found in the mares and mollys I've worked with. Louie is such a .....goober...LOL. (and that is said affectionately as he is a total sweetie) But, It is harder to get him to focus on work. He wants to gawk around, play, be loved....etc. But, once you DO get his attention and get him working, he does great. It's good for me to work with him though as it keeps me thinking. He is easy to work with, I just have to pay more attention with him then I've had to with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment