Saturday, January 22, 2011

Madison Meets the Minis

Tonight I wanted to get over to the barn to pick up a cinch. It was getting later in the evening so I knew I would not be spending too much time there though I did want to work just a little bit with Louie. Our grandaughter was over for the weekend. She is 6 years old and I thought she might enjoy seeing the barn and all the horses. So, I talked my husband into going over and bringing Madison.

No one was around tonight. I gave Fred and Madison the tour. Of course Madison fell in love with the two mini horses there. They are very nice little horses, I don't blame her.

I brought Louie into the arena and lunged him for a short time. He was quite good so I turned him loose to do what he wanted for a bit before putting him back in the barn. As he was trotting down to the other end of the arena, I asked him to whoa to see what he would do. He tipped an ear in my direction and hesitated but didn't stop. As he was trotting back up in my direction, I asked him again and he did whoa. Not immediately but he did. I rewared him and sent him off again. The next two times I asked him to whoa he pretty much ignored me but then he gave me a good whoa. And after that he stopped most of the time I asked him to. I just thought it would be a good thing to try and work on as it would be great for him to form the habit of whoa-ing on command when at liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment