Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Naughty mule caught on video

Dolly in paddock at Gray's Equestrian Training


Louie in paddock at Gray's Equestrian Training


Another interesting day at the barn. Today I took my camera as I thought Bonnie was taking a lesson today and I thought she would like some pictures of her riding Dolly. When I got there, I found out Bonnie had cancelled her lesson so I figured I might as well work with Louie since I was there. When I went out to get Louie, the first thing I noticed was that Dolly was in a paddock up near the barn and not in her usual paddock down next to Louie. And she was not happy about it. She brayed and ran to the fence when she saw me. I guess hoping I would fix her world. I gave her a pat and told her I was sorry that I could do nothing for her. When I saw Wendy, the barn owner, she said that Dolly had gone through the fencing of her paddock so was up where the electric was working more reliably. Louie wasn't happy about the separation either but did not seem as unhappy as Dolly.

When I was leading him up to the barn, he once again planted his feet and said "no" about half way up. He know the barn means work. It didn't take much to get him to come with me though. There were 3 other horses already cross tied in the barn aisle so I crossed tied Louie in the 4th spot which is right by the side door. From there he could see Dolly and he wanted to be out with her and not in the barn. So, he proceeded to throw a temper tantrum which I happened to catch on video. I think Wendy was a bit disgusted that I was videoing Louie's tantrum rather then doing something to correct him but hey, you can't pass up on such a good photo op! Once he threw his little tantrum though, he was quiet.

I took Louie out in the arena and lounged him. There was one other woman lounging her horse and 3 riding. Louie was pretty good only pulling on me once. I then took him back out to saddle him. He was quite for that though he is STILL honking for me when I get out of sight. When I took him back in to ride, he was a bit keyed up. When I first mounted up, he was a bit bouncy and I couldn't get my right stirrup so I ended up getting off walking him around for a minute then mounting up again. He was better the second time. He rode very well today. Though for some reason he was sure there were some mule eating boogers up at the viewing room side of the arena and would not walk straight past that end of the arena, but kept jigging sideways and snorting. After he started feeling relaxed, I asked for a few trot to canter transitions and he did them beautifully. So, we ended there. Since yesterdays work out was a hard one for him, I wanted to make today and easy day.

So, another good day at the barn.



View from the Barn



Louie at Gray's Equestrian Training

2 comments:

  1. you just CAN'T make that mule behave, can you!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny! Looks like he figured it out on his own anyway. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do - and grab the video cam!!

    ReplyDelete