Thursday, April 29, 2010

Silly mule...

Louie continues to slowly improve. Still not 100% but really the only time I notice anything is when he back up. He still swings his leg out sometimes when he backs
up but even that is not all the time anymore.

We are still working on bowing. He actually does very well at this now. He will now do it on a cue and I don't have to hold his leg anymore. Though he often puts his leg in a hundred wrong and odd positions before finally doing a proper bow.

Today the farrier was here. Louie didn't need anything done so I put in him the back stall/paddock to keep him out of the way. He stayed in the stall and watched while my horse was being shod. The, when it was River mules turn, I brought River up into the front stall where the farrier was. Well, Louie had a fit!!! River never come up into the front stall and Louie knows this and was very upset he was there. He was in the back stall (right behind us) pitching a total fit. There is a pipe gate separating the front and back stall and he was ramming it, pawing, snorting, rearing up, bucking.... I've never seen Louie get worked up like that before. He was so obnoxious I finally drove him out of the barn and closed the door. He fussed outside just a minute more then settled down as he could not see anyone anymore.

I have to say though that Louie has been such a good boy. He is getting left alone quite a lot now and he doesn't make a fuss about that. He will stand at the gate a call a little until we are gone, then just hangs out quietly (according to my husband). When I get home, he will walk to the gate and say hi and just wait quietly. Though he does get worked up when I put my horse back in with him and she rolls. Something about her rolling sets him off and he will run circles around her. Last week he atually ran right over the top of her as she was getting up. Gave me a scare and my horse didn't appreciate it much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment