Thursday, April 8, 2010

Trick Training


Well, I got this bright idea that since Louie can't do much else right now, trick training might be something fun for both of us. So, I figure the first trick we would tackle is teaching him how to bow. I watched dozens of youtube videos on how to train this trick. And, I figured the approached I liked best was somewhere between the war bridle and stick with a nail in it approach, and the clicker trainer who was getting mauled by her rude horse approach.

I decided to start first with my horse. After all, she is a pretty calm steady girl that has been with me for 18 years now and more likely to forgive me for any stupid mistakes I make. Well, I have to admit total failure at making much headway with her. She's a serious type of girl and was not at all interested in playing any games. Though she was interested in getting some treats. I did learn long ago that using treats to train her has always been pointless. As long as there are treats available, you can not get her to engage in any other activity other then mugging for the treats. And any disiplinary action ends in her stalking off and sulking. Her brain just totally disengages when food is around.

After my abysmal failure at getting any results with my horse, I decided to quit as she was getting very frustrated and so was I. We ended with a real simple request that she could handle and get rewarded for and we called it quits. I do know I can teach my horse this, I just needed to back off and rethink for now.

So, at this point I am figuring it would be stupid to try working with Louie. But, I'm not known for being brilliant all the time and Louie was hanging with me, playing with my crop, carrying my rope off and just looking for something to do. So, I decided to go ahead and work with him. WHAT A DIFFERENCE from my horse. He was engaged with me right from the start. He quickly figured out the cue to lift his leg and easily and willingly lowered his head to the right position. He only did a very minimal "bow" but did great for the first time. He is going to be easy to work with. And it is easy to get him to understand that he only gets a treat if he earns it and to behave about it. I could work with Louie without even putting a halter on him. And while he did not mind a rope around his foot at all, I really didn't need it and quickly took it off and worked without it.

But, now I feel challenged to figure out how to work with my horse on this trick.....without resorting to throwing her and hog tying her.....(just kidding!!)

1 comment:

  1. Well cindy, i tried this with my app mare, as she is very smart and teachable. But i also read that if a horse reaches under the fence for grass, it's the same as the bowing motion. they'd be good candidates. she can get the leg lifting part, but not bringing her head down to finish the bow. She is also one that DOES not "bow" under the fence to get grass. My gelding does, so I think he'd be a better candidate. Good luck teaching Louie, and keep up keeping us posted!!

    ReplyDelete