Monday, May 9, 2011

The Wasp Attack

Here is was, a lovely Monday morning and I really wanted to get out and ride. It was cool and quite windy but that would just help keep the black flies from being unbearable. Mondays are not typically my best day to ride as I work nights. I don't work Saturday night so I am usually up all day Sunday, go into work and work all night and get home Monday morning more then ready to get some sleep. But, it was too nice a day to waste so I called my friend Linda to see if she was interested in riding. Turned out she was and we decided to go over and ride in Pittston.

Linda picked me up. Louie gave me just a little bit of trouble loading into Linda's trailer. He is not used to a ramp. But, it didn't take long and we were soon on our way. We had a real nice ride. Louie was a bit nervous today. I think it was because I was wearing my "noisy" coat and the wind was causing it to make flapping sounds. He did fine though. We did a lot of trotting. We worked on trotting up hills and today I finally felt Louie engaging his hindquarters when trotting uphill. He is still trotting a bit too slow for my liking but that will come with time I am sure. When we got back to the trailer and got the equines untacked, I had Louie bow a few times for Linda. He did it very nicely. He's such a ham! He loaded great for the trip home.

When we got to my house and I stepped into the side door of the trailer to get Louie's hay bag, I felt a sting on the back of my head! I immediately whacked the back of my head and then felt a second sting on my neck. I'm now out of the trailer and jumping around in my driveway, whacking myself and trying to tell Linda that I was being attacked by a bee or something. Linda is staring at me wondering if I am having some kind of fit. Well, I was having a fit but not from some medical emergency. I get several more stings on my upper back so I know "it" has gone into my clothes and I'm starting to wonder if I am being assaulted by an army of stinging devils! Now I'm starting to strip off clothing while jumping and whacking. Off came the jacket, then the vest..... I then hear Linda say, "Oh, there it goes, it was a wasp" as the dreadful creature flies off apparently unscathed by my desperate attempts to annihilate it. And Linda was thankfully spared the trauma of seeing me strip off any more clothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment