Friday, May 13, 2011

Ride with Amy and Judy

Cindy on Louie enjoying the blackflies







Wile at work Thursday night, I checked the weather forecast and it was looking pretty gloomy for quite a long spell. Ran predicted from Saturday afternoon to the following Saturday! ACK! But, Friday was looking lovely so I wanted to get out for a decent ride. I emailed Amy Beem to see if she could go riding.



Judy on Lily


Amy on Washburn


It turned out she could ride and I headed up to her place around 9:00 am. It's just a little over an hour drive to Amy's. When I got there, she loaded her horse, Washburn, into my trailer. Washburn is an 8 year old Morgan gelding. We went over to her friend Judy's house which is not far from Amy. Judy has a real nice 7 year old Morgan mare named Lily. The blackflies were HORRIBLE! I did not put Louie's fly mask on him as I thought once we got moving the blackflies would not be a problem. But, I did have Amy put his mask in her saddle bag just in case I decided I did need it. And it was a good thing I did take it as I did end up putting it on him. It was a warm day. Sunny and in the 70's. Louie got quite sweaty today as he still has a lot of winter hair. The first part of the ride was on the tar road to get to the trails. No problem as all are good on the road. Though for some reason Louie was really fired up. Once we got out on the trails Louie settled down a bit but he was traveling strong, in a good way. At one point on a dirt road, he even stretched his legs out into a nice extended trot. I didn't think he was capable of that. We came upon a couple cows near the trail at one point and Washburn did and extremely impressive 180 spin. Amy managed to stick with him. I'm pretty sure I'd have hit the deck. Louie just did a little dance in place. He was not concerned about the cows but was wondering what Washburn spooked at. While out on the trail, I got a phone call from my sister-in-law to let me know that my dad had been admitted into the hospital. He has pneumonia. On the way back when we were on the road once again, Louie got really fired up again and I was feeling like I didn't any whoa. I was able to keep him in a trot but just barely. He is getting fit now. And that is great but I did not like him pulling on me and this is something new for him. Nonetheless, it was a fun ride in great company.



I dropped Amy off at her house, then as soon as I got home, I headed to the hospital to see my dad. He sure was not feeling well and looked exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment