Saturday, May 7, 2011

Nice Ride and a Sad Goodbye

Bonnie, Linda and Barbara came over to my place to ride today. Barbara and I were originally going to go ride with Amy Beem up in Newport and Bonnie and Linda had planned to go to a Maine Trail Rider's ride in..... well somewhere in the Newport area. But, the weather was looking bad for the afternoon and the storms would hit that area before my area.

It was a lovely morning. Sunny and in the high 60's. Nothing much to write about. We rode over to West Bowdoin via the Wheeler Hill Rd. and back by the Wagg Rd. All the horses and mules were very well behaved. Bonnie is really relaxing with Dolly mule now and that is nice to see. None of our equines is a strong leader but all are fine so we just took turns leading.

I had decided that it would be in every one's (me, my husband and Lance the rescue dog) if I placed him in another home. He is such a wonderful dog but it's not really working out between Lance and my husband. I had found someone willing to take him right from the beginning and the man (my boss from work) still wanted him. And I felt it would be a great home. Lots of dog experience, another dog already in the home and two children (11 and 13 year) to give Lance all the attention he deserved.
My boss came to pick up Lance this afternoon. He brought his two children with him. Both boy and they seemed like wonderful boys. I brought them out back to meet Louie and Marie. They had never been around equines so were a bit hesitant to go into the paddock. I told them it was ok and that Louie and Marie were both gentle. It didn't take Louie long to win the boys over. As soon as we entered the paddock Louie came right over to do some serious schmoozing. There was hay in the hay feeder so Marie didn't come over right away. She hates to leave her food unless there is a REALLY good reason. I got out Louie's toy and showed them how Louie fetches. Then Louie did a couple very good bows for them. Then he came right back from more mule loving. Louie just LOVES people. When it was time for them to go, their dad asked them what they thought of Lance the dog. Both boys said they wanted to take him home. Then the younger boy said if they can't take the dog home, they should take the mule home. Smart boy!!!

I will miss Lance a lot. He is just a super nice dog. But, I am satisfied with what I've done for him. He is now a healthy, neutered, housebroken, happy dog with basic training done. I know a move can be hard on an animal but I think this is truly the best thing for Lance.

No comments:

Post a Comment