Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 4 and 5 of Lyme Treatment

Day 4 of Buckshot's Lyme treatment went with any problems. He is being such a good boy about it all. The IV port still looks great. I gave him 4cc's of banamine today seeing if I could avoid any signs of discomfort. He did a little bit of licking and chewing when I was still administering the tetracycline but that was all. After the treatment he wasn't interested in taking any treats from me. A little worrisome though he seemed ok. He was eating hay. He's had no more bouts of diarrhea which is good. I watched him for a while but he was doing fine.

This morning however was fun getting to the barn. Yesterday, the temperature never got into positive numbers! The high temperature for the day was -4! UGH! Last night the wind picked up and it snowed all night.After a quick check this morning on Luke and Marie to make sure they were fine, I headed over to the barn at 5:30 am so it was still dark when I got there. The driveway was not yet plowed and the drifts were too high to drive my little car through. There was a spot clear enough of snow for me to pull over out of the way. Thankfully, I still have my head lamp with me so could see. Upper Pond Stable has a LONG driveway. Brooke drove out as far as she could to come get me.   Buckshot did not eat his grain. But, he is still eating hay and drinking well. Brooke and I decided to give him a dose of Mylox to help his upset belly. He was not impressed with this and took it as quite an insult that we syringed him with that. We went back to the 5cc's of banamine as that is the amount that keeps him from showing any signs of trouble with the tetracycline. Again, he stood like a good boy for it all. When we were done, we offered him some hay stretcher pellets and timothy pellets. He was interested in those and ate what we gave him. And Book said he ate his grain tonight. This is good. Poor boy, this is all hard on him. The vet is coming tomorrow and we'll discuss it all and see if she thinks we should add something to the routine to help with possible ulcers. Tonight is supposed to be even colder down to -20 or more. NOT fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment