Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Great Escape

Mules are such a never ending source of entertainment. This afternoon when I was taking care of the animals, after feeding I'd opened up the gate for Luke to go out into the pasture. He wandered out right away. Now Luke, being the polite boy that he is,  poops right in front of another gate that goes from his paddock into the same pasture I'd just let him out in but that is near the manure pile. So, I just open the gate and fork the manure right onto the pile. I was over by that gate forking the manure through when I notice that Luke had wandered back into the paddock and was standing watching me. I was so pleased that this sweet boy wanted to spend some time with me! What a nice mule ........ well, it seems I over estimated the power of my charms because though Luke did put up with my attentions, I quickly noticed that his eye was really on the gate. Silly boy! It leads to the same pasture he already had access to. But,  apparently the lure of an open gate is hard to resist. I stepped back to see what he would do. He took a quick glance at me to see what I was going to do, then out through the gate he went. He just looked so pleased with himself. he turned and came back into the paddock, turned again and went through the gate yet again into the pasture. All the while looking as happy as a pig in poo. I'm not sure what it was all about but watching him was hysterical. After his final trip out the gate, he then did a victory lap around the pasture alternating between a canter and a moose trot with a few tiny bucks thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment