Friday, November 9, 2012

Night Time Play

This evening when I was out in the barn at around 10:00 PM, I was just in a mood to hang out and play with the ponies. Dolly was bopping around looking for something to do so I decided to lunge her. She is easy to catch so I soon had her ready to go. I know she has been taught to lunge but had no idea what her feelings were about doing it. She did great. She was very obedient and quick to respond to my cues. Her mind was not engaged in what we were doing though. Her attention was really focused on something she thought was out in the woods in the direction of the river. I didn't see or hear anything and no one else was reacting but maybe it was her turn for guard duty tonight.

While I was working with Dolly, Luke had wandered over and was hanging out along the fence line near use. He was watching us quite intensely as if to say, "hey, I though I was the #1 mule around here! What are you doing with her?" His expression was quite funny. Marie was hiding in her stall hoping to go unnoticed until feeding time. When I finished with Dolly, I went over and stood at Luke's gate. He came trotting right over. I held out the halter and he stuck his head right in. He was quite determined to not go unnoticed. I lunged him also. The only problem I had with him was that he was being over eager in his efforts to do what I wanted. It seemed he was not going to be out done by that "other" mule! So, I had to keep softening my cues to get quiet, smooth responses. I had all I could do not to laugh at him. One has to be careful about that. Mules know if you are laughing at them and they have sensitive feelings. I swear they do............

No comments:

Post a Comment