Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stalled mules

Louie, like all respectable mules, is not fond of being stalled. But, since being at Upper Pond Stable , he has learned to deal with it. He has though lately taken to chewing wood where he can in his stall. Something he has never previously done. Tracy had noticed this when cleaning stalls and offed the use of her slow feeder hay net that fits a whole bale to put into Louie's stall thinking if he had hay in front of him all night, he'd leave the stall walls alone. I decided to take her up on that offer.

So, when I got to the barn this evening, I unloaded the hay I'd brought over and put it away. Then I put a bale into the hay net and hung it in Louie's stall. I hung it on the front wall from one of the eye screws for his corner feeder and one of the two eye screws for hanging water buckets. I also had a new bale bag for Marie that Amy Beem made. It also has smaller openings to slow down hay consumption. I filled this and hung it in Marie's stall.

When I went down to the paddock to bring them in, Marie and Louie were at the gate. Ellie Mae was hanging out along the fence line with MaryJo's horses. So, I took Marie and Louie up first. I led them into the barn and sent Louie into his stall. He walked right in and just as he got all the way through the stall door, he spotted that hay bale in the net hanging on the wall. To say he spooked would be an understatement. I think he about had a heart attack. He jumped straight up in the air and I though I might have to scrape him off the ceiling! He then bolted forward and plastered himself against the back wall and stood there staring and snorting at this potential mule eating monster that was silently lurking in his stall. And while I felt bad he'd been frightened, his expression was so funny I couldn't help but laugh...... and be thankful that he hadn't done an about face and exited the stall turning me into a door matt.

I went back out and got Ellie Mae and put her in her stall. I then checked on Louie and he was now slowly creeping up on the hay net, all snorty and twitchy because he wanted his grain that was in the feeder by the net. Marie had only given her new hay bag a brief glance, looking annoyed at being presented with yet another way to inhibit her joy in wolfing down her hay. Because it was getting dark out and MaryJo hadn't come yet, I decided to bring her horses in for her. When I went out to get them, I heard a dog bark and saw some movement behind the outdoor riding arena. At least I thought it was a dog until they started yipping and howling. It was the resident coyotes. MaryJo's horses were alert and watching them but didn't seem at all worried. I got the three horses in and watered when MaryJo showed up. We chatted for a while and then I headed home. I checked Louie one last time before leaving and he was happily munching hay from the hay net.

No comments:

Post a Comment