Friday, February 17, 2012

Outside at last

Today my friend Susie wanted to come over to ride Marie again. She is now 9 weeks post hip replacement surgery and this would be her second time riding. After some calls back and forth between Susie, Tracy and myself, it was decided to meet at the barn at 4:00 pm so that Tracy could ride with us. I had worked all night and decided I had time for a short nap. I ended up slept a bit longer then planned. I worked up at 3:30 pm and had to make a quick run to the feed store for shavings before the store closed. I did get to the barn just at 4:00 pm. Susie and Tracy were already there and had everyone up on the cross ties and ready to be saddled. We led the mules and horse out to my trailer and used my mounting block. Susie was able to mount this time with just my 2 step block!!! Yeah! We decided to ride to the end of the road to the Plains Rd. Ellie Mae and Louie were both quite excited and walking out very fast. Louie was a bit jumpy right at first, worrying about me but that didn't last too long. Ellie Mae took the lead and off we went. We were on our way back, approaching a corner when we heard something "big" coming. ACK! Upper Pond Rd. is a fairly narrow back road and if we couldn't see the vehicle coming, of course he couldn't see us. And it sounded like he was traveling too fast. And we were right. Around the corner comes a tanker truck. You could tell he was surprised to see us but it was too late to do anything but just whiz on by, and he did. Thankfully, none of the equines reacted at all. GOOD PONIES!

When we got back to the stable, we decided to ride out on the trails. For the most part, this was fine. But, we did get into one section where the frost was apparently coming out and we started punching through the snow quite deeply. So, we turned around and went back. All in all, it was a very good ride. Susie was also able to dismount on her own so a great success for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment