Friday, December 24, 2010

Moving day

Today was the day to move the mules. I called the barn owner, Wendy, to let her know we would be coming today. She said all was ready and told us what stalls would be ours and what paddocks to put the mules into. I went out and fed the mules and Marie then went to get my truck to hook up the trailer. A week or so ago, we had picked up some plywood at Home Depot and Fred had put the ball down in my truck. It always come back up hard and you have to pry it with something. We had also had some snow so I jumped in the back of the truck and shoveled out the snow. There wasn't much. I got out my 4 way, slipped it into the slot on the hitch to pull it up, gave it a tromp with my foot as I always do. I hear a snap and the sound of metal hitting the ground under the truck. The flap covering the hitch come up........but not the hitch.......ACK!!!!! I pulled the trick forward to see what hit the ground. Yep, it was the metal piece that springs the hitch up. And of course the hitch is frozen down so I could not budge it. Fred came out and thawed it out with his blow torch and pried the hitch up. So, I was back in business. I badly wanted to get the mules moved today as there was a big storm coming on Sunday and I didn't want to take the chance of not being able to get my trailer out and being unable to move the mule for an undetermined amount of time.

I pulled the truck to the end of the driveway. Then Bonnie and I went and got the mules. They both loaded up very nicely. Louie backed out once after putting just two front feet in but then loaded right up quietly. Dolly was good. When we got to the barn, we unloaded and put them in their designated paddocks. The mules were pretty quiet. A few of the horses around them got excited and ran a bit but not much over all. Bonnie left before I did. But, when I left, Louie and Dolly were quietly munching hay and seemed relaxed. I was glad neither seemed anxious. The good thing is that Louie had been to this barn before as I've brought him here to take lessons a few times. Now, I can't wait to start working with Louie.

No comments:

Post a Comment