Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ride at Browns point

Today Linda and I got together and went riding down at Browns Point. Rain was predicted for the day but not until about noon time. So, we were hoping we'd get our ride in before the rain. It looked very gloomy when I headed out. Linda didn't have her truck to use so I picked her up. Louie was a BOOGER about loading into the trailer. Now, I know he is not terrified of the trailer. I also realize the he doesn't love it. If he did, he'd jump right in. He did two feet in, back out, two feet in, back out, then just planting himself and not moving at all. I had a rope halter on him but eventually, he started thinking about turning around and leaving. When I saw him thinking about this, I knew we had to change the rules here quick. He has never pulled away from me and he wasn't going to learn now. So, I put a flat halter on and put a stud chain on him. I led him back toward the trailer. Every time he stopped or pulled back at all, I quickly made him back up, more then he wanted to back up. Just a few times of this and he decided getting on the trailer was the better idea.

Linda's horse loaded up good and we headed down to Browns Point. We parked along the side of the road on Center Point Rd. This is a dead end dirt road. It is so pretty in this area as the roads and trails are along a tidal river. I wondered how it would go today. Linda's horse is not a real confident horse and doesn't really like to lead. But, not to worry, Louie got right out in front and was wonderful. There was a lot of traffic today for dead end roads. And a lot of farm machinery along the roads going between fields. Louie was fine with it all. There is one place where we cross a bridge on the tar road. It was high tide and the water was up close to the bridge and swirling hard. Louie didn't like it but he went and did great. I was very pleased with how Louie did today and it was a nice ride. And our timing was good. The rain started when I was dropping Linda off at her house!

No comments:

Post a Comment