Saturday, August 28, 2010

First (sort of...) Trail Ride in Six Months

Today I decided to take Louie out on a trail ride. We would be going out alone and I've never taken him out on trail alone. But, today just felt right for it. He was nice and quiet when I caught him and tacked him up. I am still having some nerves about riding him so decided to just lead him until I could see he was relaxed and I felt relaxed. He was GREAT about leaving the farm. He never so much as hesitated for a second, never tried to turn back or even answered the calls of his pasture mates. He seemed very happy to go with me. He sure was bright eyed but was walking with me calmly. After a while, I did mount up. At first he wouldn't stand still for me to mount. I just let him circle me until he settled down. Then I mounted up and I just sat for a minute, then dismounted and led him a bit further. I then mounted up again and this time rode him for about 1/4 mile. He was behaving perfectly but I could tell he was nervous by his very loose stools. I dismounted and led him a bit more, then mounted back up and rode him for about a mile. At this point I was off trail and on the paved road. I dismounted and led him the 1 1/2 miles back home. Louie was absolutely wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment