Saturday, July 28, 2018

Riding With the Big Team

Today was another beautiful day. So, I decided to ride again. I walked over to the barn and could see that my neighbors, Josh and Sally, were going to take out their big team. Lily came to greet me in the barn. I gave her a good grooming as she just loves that. Then got her saddled up and headed over to Sally's house. Josh and Sally were just getting ready to head out. They had their horse Chi Chi tied behind the wagon. I asked if I could go along with them. A great training opportunity for Lily to ride along with the wagon.

We headed out down Ceder Bluff Lane onto Thacker Hollow Rd. and then headed south on Black Ridge Rd. heading for the River to River wagon trail going to High Knob Campground. Lily didn't have any issue with following the wagon. The sight and sound of it in front of her didn't bother her one bit. Chi Chi had never been ponied along with the wagon but he went right along with no problem at all. The big team, Major and Rory set a good pace. Not too far along on the River to River trail, there is a place big enough to get the team off the trail and Josh pulled the team in there to let them rest. Sally got on Chi Chi there. Things got interesting shortly after that. There are some tight S turns in the first section of the trail that the wagon just barely fit through. And one of the big team, Rory, was a little excited about his buddy Chi Chi being up ahead of him. Josh displayed some impressive driving skills and navigated the team expertly through that section. The trail was very good after that section.










I found a spot to safely pass the team and I put Lily in front of them. She did NOT like that at all at first. She pranced and danced and jigged sideways down the trail for a bit. But, it didn't take more than a mile for her to settle down and soon she was paying no attention at all the the team behind her. We took another break at the top of High Knob, then went down into camp. When we got out to the road and I realized that they were returning home by paved road, I chose to split off from them and ride home by the trails.

Lily did not even bat an eye about leaving the team and Chi Chi. She trucked back up High Knob willingly. I rode back along the River to River to trail 185 and followed that all the way home. Lily just froze up on me once when we came to a puddle of water along the River to River trail due to the way the late sun was glinting off it. It took a minute to get her feet unstuck and get her moving through the puddle but was really pretty minor. Trail 185 is a really nice trail with some very cool rock formations along it. Lily was just perfect all the way home. Keeping a nice steady pace, calm and relaxed. I was so enjoying our solo riding time. Out in nature.... just the two of us.... listening to the sounds of....... my tinnitus and my very squeaky, in need of oil, saddle... and some nature sounds slipping in though that. A really great day that gave me so much more confidence in Lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment