Friday, June 26, 2015

East Cathance Stream Ride

Today was just a really lovely day. Cierra and I had been trying to get out to ride during the week and finally it came together for today. Her friend Joey was going to ride with us on my mare Marie. And another friend, Mary-Jo was coming to. We planned all be at my place by 9:00 am. Cierra and Joey got here earlier and fed the horses and mule. Mary-Jo was right on time. We were all a bit slow getting tacked up but we headed out around 10:00 am I think. I put Nell in the back at first. Cierra's horse Tink is a good girl about leading but by the time we were on Ledge Hill Rd. Nell wanted to get out front as she walks faster so I let her. Right away we got swarmed with deer fly. Nell was not very tolerant of them. She didn't do anything bad, but they were really driving her crazy. As we approached where the cows are, Cierra and Joey took the lead again. Tink and Marie are used to seeing the cows. They were in the barn as we approached but just as I got up alongside their pasture, they came put of the barn.  Nell boogered a bit at this but it was just a little dancing in place and she want on her way. We trotted up the big hill and did a bit of trotting in our usual spots to the first turn. Mary-Jo on her gelding Arthur took the lead for a good part of the way. We stopped at a few puddles to let the horses and mule drink. When we got to the steep decent down to the stream, I took the lead with Nell. There is clay on the trail in this spot and you have to be careful going down it. Nell did great. Tink and Marie have been down it before and know the best places to walk. Arthur was slipping so Mary-Jo hopped off and led him down to keep him safe. At the stream, Nell walked right in. Tink hesitated at first but then came in. Arthur has never been in running water before and he went right in and was absolutely fascinated with it. 

Cierra and Joey dismounted and tied up Tink and Marie so they could explore around the stream. I had to work today so had to head right back home. Mary-Jo came with me. I was so pleased that Nell walked away from her stable mates without a minutes hesitation. She headed down the trail and never looked back. GOOD GIRL! Mary-Jo fell behind me a bit but Arthur was going along quite happily so we were both good. For most of the trail, the bugs had let up but when we got back on Ledge Hill, we got swarmed again. Nell was again quite distressed about it and going down the big hill, she danced around a few step, tripped over her own feet and fell down. She plowed a bit of dirt with her nose but she quickly and carefully got up and to my amazement, I was still in the saddle. I did hop off to check her. She was fine and I led her the rest of the way down the hill, the remounted and we had an uneventful ride the rest of the way back to the house. Once home, I was worried about how Nell would be about being there alone for the first time. I didn't need to worry, she was fine. She trotted around her pasture a few times looking for the others but then settled right down. I am liking this mule more and more. Seems to have such a good level head on her shoulders.






No comments:

Post a Comment