Thursday, January 3, 2013

Short Ride on a Cold Day

It's been SOOOOOOO cold this week! I had ridden earlier in the week. I'd gone out on the trails from my house on my horse. It was the first time I've been on the trails since the snow storms. The snow is nice and not too deep though the waters spots are tricky as they are not frozen yet despite the cold weather. So, Luke has been lazing around for about a week. My riding instructor called me yesterday and decided if I was willing to brave the cold, she would came to give me a lesson today. I figured as long as we were inside out of the wind, I could stand it. And we would just be careful not to work Luke hard enough to get him sweaty. This morning was a bit of scramble to get the puppy out to pee, feed the dogs, get the puppy out again, hook up the trailer, start the truck to let it warm up (and it was quite reluctant to start....) have a quick  breakfast, get all my gear and dog "stuff" in the trailer and get to work in the 1 hr. I had. I'm sure glad Upper Pond Stable is only 4 miles from my house! 

When I got to Upper Pond Stable, Brooke told me the horses were staying in because of the cold weather. That meant we'd be using the indoor arena to turn the horses out as we cleaned their stalls. So, I turned Luke out in one of the paddocks. Luke was happy when we arrived as he likes going to Upper Pond and visiting with all the horses. But, he soon realized that none of the horses were coming out and he was alone outside. Well, he commenced to bellowing and bawling his displeasure. He went up to the far end of the paddock and called to the horses he could see at the neighbors farm but they were just too far away and ignoring him so did not abate his loneliness. I kept an eye on him to make sure he was not getting worked up enough to get sweaty. He was fine though kept up a pretty constant stream of protest at what he felt was very unfair treatment, while huffing down all the hay I'd put out for him. My lesson ended up being cancelled as the instructor could not get her car started. But, since I'd brought Luke, I figured I might as well ride.

When I arrived I had put all my riding clothes and Luke's tack in the heated viewing room. When I was done work, I brought Luke in and put him on the cross ties in the barn. He was SO happy to be in with the horses.     
And as usual, Luke was as perfect as always when riding in the arena. I didn't ride him long due to the cold weather though it was not bad at all inside. 

This evening when I fed, Luke was standing at the fence line right by the door to Marie's stall. When she walked into her stall, he popped his head over the fence, shook his head and glared hard at her! Oh, such a brave boy when there is a fence between. I'm quite sure he would NEVER have the nerve to challenge the crabby old mare like this. It was funny though because Marie, being intent on going in for her food, only quickly glared back at him and went into her stall. Then, she came right back out and went at Luke, rushing at the fence and then spinning and threatening to kick and he backed right off.  It was funny because it was as if after she got in her stall, she suddenly decided she could not let him get away daring to challenge her like he had. Things are never dull with mules around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment