Saturday, January 12, 2013

Winter Ride in Pittston

We had a wonderful winter ride today! Susie, Linda and I went to Pittston to ride on the Lorax trails. The snow is just perfect for riding right now but we wanted to avoid riding where there would be water spots. The Lorax trail were the perfect choice. We didn't know how much room there would be for turning around and parking there so I met Susie and Linda at the Exit 46 Quick stop in Richmond and we trailer pooled from there. Luke is such a good sport loading in and out when we trailer pool. As soon as Luke got off the trailer he spotted some grass in the plowed area where we were parked and was quite determined to get every blade to be found. Once there we tacked up and were soon on the trail. As we hoped, the trails were perfect. They are logging at the Lorax property right now but no one was working while we were there. Gus, Bayzen and Luke were wonderful and we had a great ride! Luke was acting like he was starving today! As if he doesn't have a round bale in his stall so he can eat 24/7! Every time we stopped to take pictures, he was trying very hard to wander off the trail to eat every piece of plant life he could find! Poor starving Luke.......

To be able to go trail riding in January with such nice conditions is something you have to take advantage of any chance you get. I'm so glad we got to go today.

Susie on Bayzen

Handsome Luke

Cindy on Luke and Linda on Gus


Luke making sure no one is sneaking up behind us......

Bayzen, Gus, and Luke. Such handsome boys! 

The shadow on the trailer looks neat! 
When I went out to the barn tonight to feed, I still needed to clean stalls so I threw a couple flake out into the paddock for Dolly and Marie to take their mind off coming into the barn. Luke came into his stall to see what I was up to.  I had to go out through his stall with the wheelbarrow to the manure pile so I just opened his stall door as I know how he can't resist an open door. But, because I was standing right there inviting him out into the barn aisle, the offer was not nearly so attractive and he stood in his stall looking all innocent. I went through with the wheelbarrow and outside. As soon as I was outside, Luke then felt like if he went into the barn aisle, he was getting away with something which now made it something exciting to do and he quietly crept out into the aisle. It was so funny watching him. He made a thorough inspection of the aisle. When I came back in, he turned and looked at me with that "uh oh!". look. But, because I was coming in through his stall, he couldn't scurry back into into in an attempt to look innocent. His expression was priceless! I quietly came through and gave him a pat and told him he was fine. He let out a big sigh and then happily went about cleaning up all scraps of hay in the aisle looking quite pleased with this little late night diversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment