Friday, December 28, 2012

Moonlight ride

I went out to feed tonight around 9:30. I had some shoveling I still wanted to do and tonight was a better time as the sun this afternoon was warm enough to make the snow stick to the shovel. It was such a calm and lovely night. It was a bit cloudy but the clouds were just a thin layer blanketing the night sky and the nearly full moon was shining through quite brightly onto the fresh layer of snow. After feeding, and doing some shoveling, I just could not resist the urge to go for a quick ride in the snow. I grabbed my saddle and bridle from the trailer and saddled up Luke. It is so nice to have the center aisle barn to groom and saddle in. I hopped on Luke and at first just rode him in his paddock to see what his mood was. As if it is EVER anything but good. We did some lateral work with side passing and backing and he was completely attentive and did perfect. I then decided to ride out in the pasture. I was easily able to open the gate from Luke's back. He was perfect about lining up to the gate and then turning on the forehand to let me swing the gate open. We went out into the pasture and I was suddenly filled with anxiety. I have not ridden in my pasture since the day I came off and got hurt over 2 1/2 years ago. Strange that after all this time, it would bother me still. I know Luke could sense my anxiety but being the solid, wonderful, dependable mule he is, he took care of me, he calmed me, took my fears away and in it's place he put a big smile on my face as he calmly carried me around the pasture. That's the special kind of mule that Luke is.

No comments:

Post a Comment