Saturday, September 22, 2012

Bridges and Jumps and rainy day riding

Today Joanie, Nancy and I planned to ride in Pittston at 9:30 am. When I got up at 8:00 am, it was raining out quite hard. I listened to the weather report and they were not calling for rain at all. Pffffftttttt. So, I called Joanie and confident that it was going to clear off, we decided to ride at 10:30 am. We would ride from my house as I had to work so wouldn't have time to trailer out. Joanie and Nancy arrived at 10:00 am and it was STILL raining! But, very lightly so we decided to ride anyway. Days like today I appreciate my synthetic saddle!

Once again Luke was feeling positively bouncy as we headed out and he took the lead at the start of the ride. We took the trail behind my house that come out below the alpaca farm then rode up by the farm and took the trail by the overpass. We went straight through to the South Adams Rd. On this trail there was a downed tree across the trail that was a perfect jump opportunity! Clear of snaggy branches, decent footing on each side. It was not all that high but enough to make them jump! Yeeeehaaaaa. Joanie led and Frannie jumped neatly over. I was right behind on Luke who jumped nicely over like he might have been an eventer in a former life......... and my good old Marie made the most impressive jump of all! She jumped nicely but made darn sure she cleared it! Go Marie!

When we got to the metal grate bridge, Marie, of course, went over like a good girl. I was right behind Marie and Luke almost followed her right over. He got all 4 feet on but chickened out and backed off. I decided to stay on him this time to see if I could get him over without leading him. It took a minute or so to convince him to try but finally he did. He very, very carefully tiptoed over the bridge with tiny mincing steps. It was funny and at least he didn't try to lay down. Joanie's Frannie still isn't thrilled about the bridge either but she too went over with a little persistent persuasion. Joanie took her over the bridge a couple times to get her more used to it.

For the rest of the ride, Joanie and I went back and forth leading. Frannie was feeling her oats today too. We had to move right along for the last of the ride as we were cutting it close on time. We got back just a little bit before 2:00 pm. and I have to leave for work by 2:45 pm. Nancy, sweet woman that she is, cleaned out Marie's stall while I fed them both. Fred had supper ready for me so I cleaned up quick, ate and ran out the door for work...... with a big smile! Work is always more tolerable after a wonderful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment