Monday, August 27, 2012

2 Great Rides in One Day

This morning my niece Megan come over to ride. She has not ridden with me in MANY years. But, she now lives just next door to me and we decided it was time to rekindle her passion for riding. I put her on my wonderful mare Marie and we had a very nice ride. We headed out around 10:30 and just did the loop from my house out to the road below the Alpaca farm and home by the road. I think Meg had a good time and I'm quite sure she will come over to ride again soon.

Not long after I got back from riding with Meg, some friends came over to ride from my house. Susie, Linda,  and Barbara. Barbara rode Marie and I decided to go out with them. Our morning ride was an easy one so it would not be too much for either Luke or Marie to go again. And in fact, Luke seemed very happy to be going again with all his riding buddies. We went up Ledge Hill road and out to the Huff's Mill Rd. which goes over the dreaded mule eating metal bridge. Now that Luke had been over it once, I wondered how our second encounter would go. The only one willing to cross was Marie. Susie's horse Bayzen didn't want to go over it but Susie was eventually able to ride him across. Linda had to get off and lead Gus over. Luke was more willing to think about it today but still was quite reluctant. I did get off and lead him. After some consideration, he did step all 4 feet onto the bridge. He had his head right down and was looking intently at the water running under the bridge. Once he had all four feet on the bridge, he stopped............ and suddenly dropped to lay down! ACK! I pulled his reins and yelped at him to get up and he did thankfully. I don't know WHAT Luke was thinking. The mule mind fascinates me. We rode home by way of the South Adams Rd and back through the trail that come out behind my house. It was a great ride as usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment