Friday, January 13, 2012

Round Bales and Silly Mules

Ugh! I have been sick all week. Each day I think I'm as sick as I can get and then the next day rolls around to prove me wrong! And Poor Tracy must think I'm crazy. She volunteered to take my evening shift the other night so I could stay home and rest. I had been wanting to pick up some round bales of hay before the bad weather that was coming the next day but between not feeling well and then Fred had to use my truck to pick up plywood, I didn't think I'd get it done. When Fred got home with the plywood, despite feeling quite poorly, I went out and helped him. The plywood was for the barn roof and so I lifted the sheets up to him. Before we were done, Adam came home and came out back to help. It was only 3:30 pm so I decided to go ahead and pick up the hay bales. So, I got the bales and then went over to the barn. I should have called Tracy right away and saved her the drive over. But, by the time I stupidly thought to call her, she was already on her way. So, we brought everyone in then we rolled the round bales into place. One in the boys turnout and one in Marie's. We discussed blanketing the equines the next day as it was going to be snowing and windy all day. We decided that if blankets went on, Louie would be turned out with Marie as Prize would very likely take it upon himself to disrobe anyone turned out with him. 


Email from Tracy the next day:
I kept debating about putting the blankets on since there isn't any white stuff yet.  Ended up putting them on and turning Louie loose in Marie's paddock.  Should have brought a camera as he ran and played just so excited to be some place new.  Then I brought Marie out and she saw him cantering around and she started doing this BIG trot in place next to me, getting hyped up.  I took her halter off, waiting to see her take off and play too when she does a big huffy, puffy blowing trot.....all the way to the round bale (ten feet).  That's it, Marie's show was over!  Silly girl.  Louie was too busy exploring to eat.  


Yep, that's my girl, food before all else! I really felt horrible when it was time to go over and feed this evening. I've developed a nasty cough and I feel weak as a baby. UGH! But, with the weather so lousy, I didn't want to ask Tracy to drive over. It's 16 miles for her and only 4 miles for me. I should have had Fred go over with me. Thankfully, MaryJo was there when I arrived. She helped me bring my critters in. She led in Prize who was doing his sticky feet thing. Silly boy. And he was quite agitated once in his stall so it took her a few tries to get his halter off. But, she is an experienced equine handler and managed fine. I was happy to see that both Marie and Louie's blankets were on and in place just fine. And I was oh so thankful that Tracy had filled their water buckets in their stalls that morning as I'm not sure I would have had the strength to fill them. Though I know MaryJo would have done it for me. Hopefully, whatever this is I have goes away SOON!!! sigh.........

No comments:

Post a Comment