Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Three Good Louie Days in a Row

I had evening chores at the barn tonight and went over just a little early so I'd have time to ride. I brought everyone in and gave them a chance to eat. I groomed Louie in his stall because, as is his habit, he rolled in his stall as soon as he came in and was covered in shavings. He was very quite on the cross times when I tacked him up.

I did ground work with him first and he was very good tonight. Very attentive and responsive. He did his best cantering yet on the lunge line. Today I was trying the new Phelam bit on him so I did some flexing exercises from the ground with it first so he'd get used to the feel of it. It has the same mouth piece as the bit he's been wearing, but much shorter shanks. It took him a few minutes to start softening and giving to the bit. I then got on him and he was SUCH A GOOD BOY! Tonight I finally had my steering back. And he was responding to leg pressure again. Not perfect but quite well. At the trot he's been drifting to the inside really hard. He was still drifting to the inside tonight but I was able to keep him on the wall with just light leg and rein pressure. And he was keeping his head down. At time a little behind the bit but that is better then nervous and poking the nose in the air. I liked this bit much better. With the short shanks I could keep a little contact on him and had a better feel for him.  I made it a short session because he was just such a good boy.

When I was putting Louie away, MaryJo was there feeding her horses. She looked like she was having a bad day. I hope nothing is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment