Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Coyote Songs

Tonight the coyotes were yipping like crazy when I got to Upper Pond Stable to bring in my horse and the mules. None of the equines seemed too concerned and were actually all hanging out at the back of their turnouts much to my surprise. I brought Marie in first, then both the boys together. They led in quite quietly but........ we came into the barn and Prize sped up down the aisle kind of leaving Louie and I behind. Not something he's every done to me before though he did settle back to me when I gave a tug on the lead rope. But, when we got to his stall, he absolutely refused to go in it. No way, no how UH UH, NOT happening. Gulp.......Louie was just a little anxious with this development but didn't do anything. But, with Louie in one hand I didn't have any means to convince Prize to go in his stall. Nor could I go in ahead and lead him in.  Sooooo, I stepped forward with Louie and asked him to go in his stall. Thankfully he went right in and did not try to bolt back out. He did eyeball the door but that was it. Prize stood quietly while I put Louie in his stall and removed his halter. But then he still did NOT want to go in his stall. And when I did finally convince him to go it, he was very agitated. Took a minute to get him to stand still enough to get his halter off as he just wanted to glue his eyes to the window. By now the coyotes were full out howling. But, if it was the coyotes that worried him/them, I would have thought they'd have been nervous in the turnout or while being led in. But maybe he is not worried about them out in the open where he can see them but rather worried about being confined with them around. Guess I can't blame him if that is the case.

Before I left, I closed all the doors and opened Louie stall and let him come out. He is always anxious to get out of his stall and I wanted him to see that if he came out, there was really no where to go. I did make sure that he stood quietly and waited for me to invite him to come out. Unfortunately,  I don't think this was effective at all as he had a great time exploring the barn aisle. He carefully checked out every stall door thoroughly, examined each one several times giving special attention to the door leading out front. After about 10 minutes he finally came back down to our end of the barn and decided to settle in with MaryJo's hay. He didn't have a halter and when I picked his up and he took off! LOL. Jeesh, he doesn't run away from me in the turnout. Of course there was no where to go so he just went up the aisle then turned and came back to me. Silly boy.

Progress continues on the barn. Today Fred and Adam put the Roof top Guard II underlayment on the 2nd floor roof. This will weather proof it. It is rated to be good for up to 6 months on it's own without the final roofing on so now we  can take our time and wait for warmer weather to put on the metal roofing

Picture of the inside of the 2nd floor

The barn looks funny with the west wall not built! 

Starting the first layer of the Roof Top Guard II underlayment

No comments:

Post a Comment