Thursday, November 24, 2011

Snowy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I so much enjoy the family time. We have been having such good weather for November so I should not complain that we had a whopper of a snow storm yesterday. I do believe we got 8 inches or so. So, I spend this morning shoveling out the barn so we could continue with the construction work tomorrow. Fred put the snow blower on the lawn tractor and tried to clean up the driveways with that. The snow blower was not being cooperative at all and Fred didn't get much snow removed for so much work put in. Thankfully my brother let us borrow his plow truck and Fred was able to plow later in the afternoon. 

I had the evening shift at the barn today. Louie was actually very quiet tonight. He led in very nicely and he went into his stall with no fuss and stood pretty well for me to get the halter off without any attempts to exit the stall. Then I went to get Prize........ when I got out to his turnout I see his halter is not hanging on the hook. So I assume it must be in the barn and I go back in to get it. No halter in the barn...... hummmmm. So I then guess that it fell off the hook and I just didn't see it in the snow. Back out I go but I still don't see his halter. At least not anywhere near the post. So, I start looking further afield. Well, I finally found it out in his turnout well tramped into the snow. I pull it out of the snow, shake it off and it falls apart...... ACK!  I look it over and see that it's not actually broken but it looks like he chewed on the end of the nose piece strap. So, it is not swollen with water and ragged from being chewed so it was a bit of a challenge feeding the end through the buckle. I eventually managed and got his halter on. He was a good boy leading in but when we got to his stall, he locked all 4 feet and said, "no thanks, I'd rather not go in tonight".  Apparently he's been talking with Louie. We had a small discussion about this and he finally agreed to go into the stall. And once in he was just fine. 

I took the opportunity to ride Marie tonight. I wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten how to ride. She was quite full of it! She was not behaving badly she was just wanting to zoom around the arena at about 100 mph. And Marie of course Marie leaving her stall ended Louie being quiet as he had a minor panic attack about it. Poor Louie. I did go into his stall after I was done with Marie and groom him. He totally sucked up the attention and was giving a big dose of "poor me". 

No comments:

Post a Comment