Friday, November 18, 2011

Settling into Upper Pond Stable

Tracy's mule Sir Prize



Everything is going quite well at Upper Pond Stable. Karen and Bart, the owners, are very nice and create a very relaxed atmosphere. They take an interest in everyone and their equines. I hauled Tracy's mule over about a week ago. He was quite nervous about being being in my trailer but he was a very good boy about it. When we got to Upper Pond, he was sweating and shaking but behaved very well. Prize is a nice mule and Tracy has raised him well.

Louie continues to have anxiety about going into his stall. He HATES that he looses sight of everyone. When brought in, he tries to walk right on by the stall. Then he resists going in. Once in, he will try to come right back out. He does settle down fairly quickly. Though sometimes he will go to the wall between him and Marie and bob his head up and down trying to look through the cracks between the boards. He is, however, eating and drinking very well and he is not having any loose stool so I know he's he's doing ok. I've been doing morning chores and Tracy the afternoon chores. Prize had been such a good boy to handle. He did take a "walk about" the first morning I put him out in his pasture. He scooted right between the 2 strand electric fence. It was not on and it was amazing to see a mule as big as he is scoot through such a small space so easily. And he was very impressive as he moose trotted and galloped around the stable. Thankfully, the stable is was off the road. I did have to wait for someone else to arrive before I could catch him. He's been a perfect boy since that first morning.




Strangely, Louie has now started to hesitate when being led out to his pasture in the morning. I thought this very strange because I lead him and Marie out together so he is not being separated from his pasture mate. And I am sure he does not want to stay in his stall. And once out to the pasture, he is quiet and relaxed. It's just when being led out, he is poking slowly, stopping and giving me very disgusted looks. Then today as I was leading them out, he stopped right by Prize's stall. And I realized he started this after Prize arrived. I think he dislikes leaving Prize behind in the barn as I always bring Prize out last.



Work on my barn is progressing. Fred has been working soooooo hard on it. We have been blessed with such good weather so far this month and we are thankful for every good day we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment