Thursday, May 27, 2010

Back Lawn


Today was finally cool enough to work outside after a few days of nasty heat. Right after I fed the horse and mules this morning, I got out my fencing supplies to put up a temporary fence around the back yard. As soon as I got out my plastic step-in posts, my horse knew exactally what I was doing and started pacing the fencline and nickering. Louie had no clue what was going on and why my horse was so excited. It too me a little longer then usualy to fence the yard as I had some tree trimming to do and I made the fence "hot" which I don't usually do. I know my horse is fine with but don't know if Louie will bother the fence if it's not hot. I don't think so but just don't want to find out the hard way. I had to do some scrounging for enough insulators since most all my insulators are in a bucket, in a crate that is buried under a bunch of hay bales right now. So, I had to find some on trees where there is no longer any fencing.

Once done, I opened the gate and my horse trotted right out. Louie didn't know what to think. He eyed the gate suspiciously in case the electric was still up. He finally walked out tentatively. Took a few bites of grass then trotted back into his paddock. He stood in there a few minutes thinking it all over. But, when he saw my horse was not coming back in, he finally wandered back out. He went in and out a few times before he relaxed enough to settle down to grazing. Silly mule!

Now that he is FINALLY shedding out, a lot more of his "Bend Or" spots are showing up I didn't know he had. He has the one large one on his back that is visible even with his winter coat. But, it seems he has quite a few small ones that didn't show with his winter coat. I can't wait to see him all shed out.

3 comments:

  1. Explain Bend Or spots. Bend, OR, is just over the Cascades from me... ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, "Bend Or" spots are the official name for these kind of spots on an equines coat.

    These markings were named after the Thoroughbred stallion Bend Or, a chestnut who had such spots. Bend Or spots are random dark spots on a horse's coat. They seem to be tied to the chestnut color. Man O' War, a descendant of Bend Or, is said to have had these spots. Bend Or spots seem to show up most frequently on chestnuts and chestnut-based colors, like palomino, but they can occur on other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are also sometimes called smuts or grease spots.

    ReplyDelete