Sunday, November 22, 2009

First ride from the house

11/22/2009
Bonnie and I rode again today. Barbara M. joined us riding my horse Marie. I put Old Mac boots on Louie today. He has been just a tiny bit tender over rock on the past 2 rides and today would be very rocky. I doubt he has ever worn boot but didn't fuss at all about me putting them. on. Good boy! Louie once again fussed just a tiny bit about me mounting. But, after just a few circles around me, he stood very nice. He started out in the lead once again. When we came out of the wood to the road, near my neighbor with the llama, Louie was a bit worried about the llama and I let Bonnie lead there. Louis is still not thrilled about walking into water but is resisting less and less. I still only needed just light leg pressure to encourage him through. There was just one spot where there was a mule eating rock sticking out of a large puddle that gave him some real concern. He did the first river crossing very well. Once again I let him follow River in and he was very good. Then we had the steep climbs and descents on the pipeline. He wasn’t sure what to think of that. He climbed very well but was unsure of how to handle the steep downhills. He got the hang of it after a few of them. Then at the second river crossing, I was behind Bonnie. It is downhill with a bit of a drop off into the water at this crossing. Nothing bad and Louie followed River with little hesitation but at the last second took a HUGE flying leap coming down into the river with a big splash! I was amazed I stayed on without even losing my stirrups. We definitely had some big air on that one. Barbara said it was a pretty impressive jump. Once Louie was in the river though, he was fine. He did great on the way home. Going through the many water spots just fine. He was getting pooped out though and was not moving out so fast any longer. I think Louie did wonderful for a young, somewhat green mule. All in all, another wonderful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment