Saturday, May 9, 2020

Skinks at Haystack

Loretta and I were riding from home/camp again today. She was riding Lady today so I was going to meet her at camp. I fed, groomed and saddled Lily up and headed down the road. I led her as metal shoes are slippery on pavement and it make me nervous to ride on the pavement. And there is just really no shoulder to speak of. We spooked the alpaca when we passed them today. They were laying down along the fence near the road. Lily doesn't even seem to find them all that interesting. I surprises me but I'm glad.



We decided to ride on the south side of Karber's Ridge Rd. We rode out to Black Ridge and down to the end and crossed Karber's Ridge there. We took the River to River and then turned off on ... 006... I think... Anyway, we rode out to Haystack and stopped to have lunch there. Today was ride two of zero tolerance of Lily snacking. Again, she tried at first but quickly adjusted and was good with only the need for a few corrections. And of course I had to ask her to step up on a few rocks which she did willingly. We spotted a couple cool skinks/lizards at Haystack. It was such a nice day. We stopped again for a short break at the Stone Cabin.
























 We were riding along the creek near the Stone Cabin and I asked Lily to step up on a rock in the water. She was willing to try but did not want to be standing in the water to do it. That worried her for some reason so she sidled sideways until she had her back feet mostly on land and then stepped up.
We'd gotten an earlier start today so were in hopes of getting back in time to get food at Double M Restaurant. We did manage that even though we rode nearly 20 miles. I decided to ride Lily down the road on the way home. Lily was being careful and we stayed on the side of the road as much as we could. We met up with Sally and Josh in their UTV and his girls. Josh pointed out that Lily was missing a front shoe. Darn! I was planning to ride tomorrow. We also had a few cars pass us and Lily was fine about it all. I took care of Lily as quick as I could and got Fred and we headed back to Double M for supper. We at at Loretta and Terry's camp and enjoyed some time by the campfire visiting. It was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment