Saturday, August 4, 2018

Cobwebs and Tail Hair

I was feeling pretty lazy this morning so did not get up and about until late morning and didn't get over to the barn until after noon time. It was a hot day so I decided to just go out for a short ride. And today I actually did keep it short. Lily seemed happy to be heading out on a riding adventure. She was quiet and relaxed while being saddled up and left the barn without hesitation. We headed out the North Trail and then dropped down over the hill and crossed the stream and rode the right bank going north until we hit 185 the High Country Trail. I hesitate taking this trail alone. It's a beautiful trail but sections of it are along the sides of a high bluff with narrow trail and long steep drop offs. I don't mind heights at all, just thinking of for any reason I came off and rolled down one of those drop offs..... well, the older we get the more we think of these things it seems. But, Lily had so far proven to be a very solid and steady partner when we are out alone so I decided to trust her. Lily never took a wrong step and we very much enjoyed the trail.



We looped around and stayed on 185 on the lower trail. There are a couple blow down on this trail and one of them is tough to get around. Lily did a great job and didn't get at all concerned as we bulldozed though some very heavy brush on a bank to get around. We were out 2 hrs. and did 6.5 miles. Lily could not have been a better girl. She impresses me more and more with each ride we do.We came home by way of Blacks Cabin. When we ride into the tie area, there on the fence I spied a HUGE hunk of tail hair hanging off the barb wire fence. For me it was like finding a pot of gold. A dirty matted pot of gold but still.... I jumped off Lily and quickly retrieved that wondering if it might be hair from one of Sally's horses. Someone had cut the tail hair to free it from the fence. I was a matted mess but I know it would be a lot of nice hair once I worked it all out and cleaned it.





A shoo fly I made with some of the hair

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy reading your blog! What will you do with the tail hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a Shoo Fly with some of it.

    ReplyDelete