Sunday, May 7, 2017

Snake at the Cabin

I trailered over to High Knob to ride with Anthony and Cathy.  Roy and Beth Landers and Billy and Lisa Scott were also in our group. I went to the barn early to feed and clean Lily up as best I could. Lily was a bit of a jerk about loading. She put two feet in, looked over the divider and saw no one else was in the trailer and backed out and didn't want to load. It didn't take all that long to convince her though. When we got to High Knob, I tied her to my trailer to tack her up and she was all excited and wiggling back and forth on her lead. I put her saddle blanket on her just as a group of riders were going by and Lily bucked the blanket off. Sigh....... I settled her down and put the blanket back and. She stood ok for the saddle. I led her down to Anthony's and Lily was excited but behaving. She stood quietly for me to get on. But, that's one thing she is nearly always very good about. We had a bit of a wait until everyone was ready and Lily was a bit impatient but not bad either. I didn't have my phone or a camera today so didn't get any pictures. And I forgot my GPS so don't really know how many miles we rode. We rode to Blacks Cabin. Beth had an encounter with a fairly large snake when she went to do some business in the woods. Nothing poisonous but still a rather large one. The guys had to check it out and brought it up by the cabin. Lily only had one bad moment today on the trail. We were riding along the base of a bluff and it was fairly rough going and we came to a dead end and had to turn around. Anthony and I had been in the lead and we were suddenly in the back and Lily had a brief anxiety attack in fear of being left behind. And it was NOT a good spot for mulie anxiety attacks! I hopped off and led her though a rock squeeze so as not to lose any lower limbs and jumped back on her at the bottom. Lily was a very good girl all day other than that one moment and we had a great ride. We were out for around 5 hrs. Perfect weather, good friends, good mules... What more can you ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment