Saturday, October 5, 2013

Upper Pond Stable Trail Riders

Today a group of us from Upper Pond Stable were available to ride. So, due to not enough trailers and having to go slow for Luke and Shots, we rode right from the Stable. Cierra had to work in the morning so I had her call me when she was done and ready to ride. When she called, I loaded up Luke and Shots and headed over. Brooke was riding Shots. I had new boots for both Luke and Shots so it took us a little extra time getting ready. Shot's fits nicely into Easyboot Gloves so they go on pretty easy. The boots I've found that fit Luke passably were the Old Mac's. Not my favorite boots but what can you do. Luke has never worn boots before so I wondered what he'd think of it. He didn't care at all and did great in them. Shots adjusted to his right away also. Cierra, Meagan and Mary-Jo were riding with Brooke and me. Once we were all ready, Cierra's mom, Pam, took a photo of us all together down in the outdoor arena and then we were off. We took the trail that goes out to the road just a few houses from the Stable. We explored some side trails but were not able to get though any of them due to swampy spots. The horses and mules did very well together. Cierra's horse, Tinkerbell, was in heat and giving crabby faces to the others but Cierra is doing a great job teaching her that she has to behave, even when she's in heat. So, we had no problems. Mary-Jo's Arthur had some clear preferences on where in the group he wanted to be which was mostly right behind Luke. I was in the lead on Luke most of the ride though a few times Shots went out in front. Shots is good no matter where Brooke has asked him to be. He has a great forward walk and is steady in the lead. But Brooke says it's easy to rate him back and he's willing to follow also. He's just turning out to be the super nice trail mule that I suspected he was. When we got back to the stable, Mary-Jo decided to do some ring work with Arthur. The rest of us decided to ride longer. So, I lead them across the sand pit to some trails I knew on the other side of the stable. I had to scout out a safe way into the sand pit on foot and found one. It looked a bit scary to those not used to trail riding but was safe and the horses and mules got though easily. I knew we'd haev to ride out and back on the same trail but it's a nice trail none of the others had been on before. Again, we explored a few side trails but there was nothing we could make a good loop out of. There is one trail we could loop but there is a gate blocking the trail that leads back to the stable. I have ridden around it quite a few times and though I've had no trouble doing it, there is swamp on each side of the gate and it's a tight fit that I lead the equine. We were riding toward this so I could let the others take a look to see if they felt they wanted to try it when Cierra rode up to me and told me she was feeling sick. One look at her and I knew she was not kidding. She was very green around the gills, the poor girl! So, we turned around and headed back the way we had come. Just as we got back to the stable, Meagan realised she'd dropped her phone out on the trail. She turned and headed back out to find it while Brooke and I took Cierra back to the stable. Karen, the barn owner, was there and she took Cierra to keep and eye on here and help her take care of her horse, Tinkerbell. Brooke and I headed back out after Meagan. Shots tested Brooke a little over going back out but it was very minor. He is such a good boy and does not push it hard at all when he does test. Meagan was heading back to see where we were turned around and went back out with us. I was in the lead on Luke again and we soon found the phone though I rode right over it without seeing it. Thankfully, Luke did not step on it and it the phone was none the worse for the wear. All the horse and mules were very, very good and it was a very fun ride, if a bit slower than I usually go. And not so good Cierra got sick but she has recovered and is ready to ride again
 






,'









No comments:

Post a Comment