Saturday, May 12, 2012

Phippsburg ride with the MTRA's

Today I went to a ride in Phippsburg put on by the Maine Trail Riders Association. It's been a long time since I've ridden with this group. The go slow at a walk but sometimes I like to do this kind of ride as I think it's good for the equines so they don't think all rides are fast. Poor Luke, he though yesterday's ride was a bit too fast, today he thought things were a bit too slow. He was a wonderful boy though. I took my horse also and my friend Barbara met me in Phippsburg and rode her. My friends Linda and Bonnie also came. So, there were too mules on the ride!

This morning Luke loaded up into the trailer real well. I had loaded my mare first so that might have contributed to his willingness to self load today......... I got to the ride early before any of my friends so I unloaded Luke and Marie, gave them each a hay bag (though Luke was sure Marie's hay was better) and groomed them. Soon, everyone had arrived, we tacked up and headed out pretty much on time at 10:00 am. Luke wanted to walk faster then the group was going but it was no trouble slowing him down. I'd just keep having to reminding him on and off. We stopped for lunch down by the basin along the tidal river. We tied everyone up to trees in the woods. Luke was a good boy and was quiet. Marie screamed the whole time as she was in heat and had fallen in love with my friend Linda's gelding Gus. And Gus was not tied near her. She stayed put though and that's all that matters. We rode for about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. in all. Luke and Bonnie's mule Dolly were both wonderful and we got several comments on how well behaved the mules were. I was very proud of them both. It was a fun time with a nice group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment