Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ouch!

A few evenings ago at feeding time, I went over to Upper Pond Stable to take care of the equines and as usual, brought Marie in first. I then headed down to get the boys. I grabbed both of their halters, unhooked the bottom strand of the gate, went into the pasture, and hooked it back up and proceeded to put on Prize's halter. I dropped the halter, bent down to pick it up it was then that apparently someone snuck up behind me and kicked me hard in the darriere..............I jumped up, yelping and flailing both halters, whipped around to see who had kicked me and upon seeing no one there realize that I had forgotten to turn off the electric fence and when I bent over to pick up the halter, I managed to stick my darriere on the wire. I will report that the fence is in full working order as it honestly felt like someone had kicked me HARD!!!!! OWWWWW! Of course, with all my crazy behavior, both mule boys immediately left my vicinity and wanted no part of coming anywhere near me as obviously there was something wrong with me and they just didn't know what it was. After a few minutes, I was finally able to catch Louie but Prize was not convinced it was safe to let me near him so I decided to just bring Louie up to the barn first and come back for Prize. Now the fence was still on but I most stupidly thought I could get Louie out of the pasture anyway. HA! Well, I did get him out....... I led him to the gate, dropped the wires which, of course, started snapping when they hit the ground and that was a deal breaker for an already suspicious, worried mule. Louie shot through the gate and kept right on going......without me..... This upset Prize and he started running the fence line. But he still was not coming near me or the gate so didn't cause any problem. I put the gate back up and headed off after Louie. By some fortune, Louie went down along the side of the barn, then spotted MaryJo's horses out in the back field and trotted right into the outdoor arena. I scurried over and shut the gate and just left him in there to run it off. I then went and caught Prize who, though still not convinced it was safe to be near me, was now willing to take his chances. He led up to the barn just fine though he did keep a wary eye on me. I then went and got Louie who was more then ready at that point to come with me. So, once again, good mules, bad mule handler.

1 comment:

  1. Oh - hahahahaha! BTDT! And I am so sorry your post made me laugh!

    Hoping you have a Happy New Year my Mule-Friend!

    ReplyDelete