Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Deer Fly Seasopn Begins

Well, the deer fly are out in full force now. Blah! Barbara and I went riding this afternoon. She came over at 1:00. The weather was pretty nice. Warm but not too hot to be uncomfortable. The big gigantic flies are out also and around the horses at the barn driving them crazy and making them hid in the shelter during the day. The deer fly only seem to bother when we get into the woods. I spent the morning getting and putting away grain and supplies and then cleaning out my trailer's living quarters which was long overdue! I found some rotting carrots in my hold bag. Yeck! I have an endurance ride this weekend so had to get it done.

We headed out and did the Tarr's Mills loop. Some of it I haven't ridden yet this year so I was hoping there was nothing down blocking any of the trail. There wasn't. The trail could use some clean up but none was blocked. The deer fly were very bad in some spots. And of course the first equine always gets the most of them. And that was Louie and I for the most part. I did have his Cashal Quiet Ride mask on but his mane is a bit long and was making it gap at the top and allowing the flies to crawl in. Poor Louie. He was all bug eyed and snorty going up Ledge Hill Rd. There were recent signs of moose in dropping and tracks and I'm sure this is what he was smelling. He didn't want to lead but I pushed him along. I eventually had to break off a branch to use as a "motivator". This helped a lot. When we got to the river, I was hoping Louie wouldn't try to leap across it like he did the first time we crossed it. The river is WAY too wide to jump so he surprised me that first time and just by some luck I didn't come off him. He was concerned about it today but walked in nicely. At the second crossing, we walked up the river a ways and this caused Louie a LOT of concern. He reluctantly led at first but when the water got deeper then his knees, he froze and I had to let Barbara on Marie lead the way. Louie still wasn't happy but he did go. Louie is doing very well with the "scary" things. He still isn't all that bold but he does what is asked. Occasionally he will freeze up when really nervous but at least he doesn't act up or do anything explosive. I'm getting old enough to appreciate a lack of explosive behavior. We had a very nice ride.

Susie called me when we were out on the trail. She wanted Barbara and I to come over to her place when we were done riding. I did go but Barbara had some commitments that evening and had to get home. When I got to Susie's, Bonnie and Linda were there and it was a birthday party for Barbara and I. So, Barbara missed her own birthday party. We had a fun time and nice visit. Linda gave me $25 from what she was paid for the use of Marie for the Hindu wedding.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about Deer Fly Season but - wait did you say YOUR birthday? Happy Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete